NEWS
|
FORUM
|
SCHEDULE
|
VIDEOS
|
STATS DATABASE
|
PODCAST
|
SALARY CAP

Archive for the ‘ schedule ’ Category

With the league year commencing Tuesday at 4:00 pm, here is a preliminary look at the 2015 calendar for the Patriots and the NFL. Hopefully some of you will find this to be a handy piece of reference over the course of the year. Dates with an ~ elliptical are best guesses based on recent history, while the rest of the dates should be accurate. Updates will be made periodically throughout the year as more information becomes available. All times designated are eastern time zone unless noted otherwise.

 

Mon Feb 2: Waiver system begins for 2015

Sat Feb 7: Regional Combine, Miami

Tue Feb 10:Beginning at Noon, NFL clubs may begin to sign players whose 2014 CFL contracts have expired. Players under contract to a CFL club for the 2015 season or who have an option for the 2015 season are not eligible to be signed.

Sat Feb 14: Regional Combine, Houston

Mon Feb 16: First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players

Feb 17-23: Scouting Combine, Indianapolis

Sat Feb 21: Regional Combine, Denver

Sat Feb 28: Regional Combine, Baltimore

Sat Feb 28: Patriots‘ Cheerleader open preliminary auditions, John J. Ahern Middle School in Foxborough; 10:00 am.

 

March 1-April 2: Colleges hold their Pro Days for NFL scouts.

Mon March 2: League announces official salary cap figures for 2015. This includes each team’s individual adjusted cap number, and how much was carried forward from the previous season. The 2015 salary cap is $143.28 million, an increase of about $10 million from 2014. The adjusted salary cap for the New England Patriots is $144,578,084; please visit Miguel’s PatsCap.com page for more details.

Mon March 2: With the 2015 salary cap officially announced, the league also sets franchise tag values, as they are based on a percentage of the salary cap.

Mon March 2: Teams are no longer required to grant permission to another team to discuss the position of head coach with an assistant coach.

Mon March 2: Deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players, 4:00 pm.

March 7-8: Regional Combine, Chicago

March 7-10: Free Agent Contact Commences Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2014 contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 10. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until after 4 pm on March 10.

Tues March 10: Start of the 2015 League Year
The 2015 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4:00 pm. The first day of the 2015 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m. on March 10. Clubs will receive a Personnel Notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., on March 11.

Tues March 10: Prior to 4:00 pm clubs must exercise options for 2015 on all players who have option clauses in their 2014 contracts.

Tues March 10: Prior to 4:00 pm clubs must submit Qualifying Offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.

Tues March 10: Prior to 4:00 pm clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2014 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit.

Tues March 10: Top-51 Rule begins. All clubs must be under the 2015 Salary Cap prior to 4:00 pm.

Tues March 10: All 2014 player contracts expire at 4:00 pm.

Tues March 10: Trading period for 2015 begins at 4:00 pm, after expiration of all 2014 contracts.

Sat March 14: Patriots‘ Cheerleader final auditions, Dana Farber Field House at Gillette Stadium, 10:00 am.

March 19-21: NFL Career Development Symposium, Arizona Biltmore, Phoenix AZ

Sat March 21: Super Regional Combine, Phoenix

Sun March 22: Veteran Combine, Phoenix

Sun March 22- Wed Mar 25: Annual NFL Owner’s Meeting, Phoenix

Mon March 23: Compensatory Draft Picks Announced

Tue March 24: With compensatory picks announced, the full order of all draft picks will be finalized and announced.

Pats’ current draft picks:
1.32.32 (1st round, 32nd of round, 32nd overall)
2.32.64 (2nd round, 32nd of round, 64th overall)
3.32.96 (3rd round, 32nd of round, 96th overall)
3.xx.xxx (3rd round, compensatory – projected)
4.02.xxx (via Tampa Bay from trade of Logan Mankins)
4.32.xxx (4th round, own assigned draft pick)
6.02.xxx (via Tampa Bay, in trade for Jonathan Casillas)
7.02.xxx (via Tennessee, in trade for Akeem Ayers)

5.32.xxx dealt away to Tampa Bay in trade for Jonathan Casillas
6.32.xxx dealt away to Tennessee in trade for Akeem Ayers
7.32.xxx dealt away to Tampa Bay in trade for Greg Salas

 

~ Wed April 1: Patriots Hall of Fame Nomination Committee meets to select three finalists for this year’s fan election process.

Mon April 6: Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2014 regular season may begin offseason workout programs. For this season that would be the Atlanta Falcons, Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Denver Broncos, New York Jests, Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers.

April 6-20: Per the CBA this is Phase One of off-season workout programs, and can last for two weeks.
– It is limited to just strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation.
– Only strength and conditioning coaches may be present; other coaches may not attend or observe in any way.
– Footballs cannot be used, with the exception of quarterbacks throwing to uncovered receivers, and no helmets may be worn.
– First day clubs with new head coaches can begin Phase One is April 7.
– First day clubs with returning head coaches can begin Phase One is April 21.

~ Wed April 9: NFL preseason schedule announced
– Preseason nationally televised games are announced with exact date and time.
– All other games are announced by week, with exact date and time released about a week later.

~ Sun April 12: 2015 Patriots NFL Draft Preview Party; Noon-4 pm, Putnam Club West, Gillette Stadium. Free event for season ticket holders, waiting list members and guests. Hosted by espnBoston; last year’s panel included Trey Wingo, Mike Reiss, Field Yates, Trevor Matich, Tedy Bruschi and special guest Chandler Jones.

~ Tue April 14: Patriots announce three finalists for the team’s Hall of Fame; fan voting commences, concluding on May 15. The winner will be announced about a week later and the induction ceremony will likely be held the day prior to the first preseason game, with a halftime ceremony at the home opener.

~ Thu April 16: Exact date and times for remaining NFL preseason games released.

Mon April 20: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin off-season workout programs.

April 20: Pats’ voluntary off-season strength and conditioning program begins, lasting two weeks; the entire off-season program concludes June 18.

April 20-May 25: Phase Two of off-season workout programs begins, which can last three weeks.
– All coaches are now permitted on the field.
– Workouts may include individual player instructions and drills, with offense or defense only, but no offense and defense at the same time.
– Phase two includes on-field workouts, drills, and team practice conducted on a “seperate” basis.
– Special-teams drills may also be conducted without opposing units on the field at the same time.
– There can be no live contact and no one-on-one competition, and no bump-and-run coverage of receivers by defensive backs.
– Helmets are still not permitted.
– First day clubs with new coaches can begin is April 20; May 4 for clubs with returning coaches.

~ Fri April 24: NFL regular season schedule announced, 8:00 pm (NFLN and ESPN).

Fri April 24: Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets.

Wed April 29: Deadline for old clubs to exercise right of first refusal and match offer sheets submitted by Restricted Free Agents.

April 30-May 2: 2015 NFL Draft, Chicago

Thu April 30: First round of the NFL Draft, Chicago, 8:00 pm (NFLN and ESPN)

 

Fri May 1: Second and third round of the NFL Draft, 7:00 PM (NFLN and ESPN)

Sat May 2: Rounds 4-7 of the NFL Draft, 12 Noon (NFLN and ESPN)

Sat May 2: Teams can sign undrafted free agents as soon as the draft is concluded.

May 8-11: First weekend after the NFL Draft: Clubs may elect to hold their three-day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday. This year teams may also opt to have the rookie minicamp the following weekend.

~ May 8-10: Pats’ rookie mini-camp.

Mon May 11: Rookie Football Development Program begins.

~ May 15: Fan voting for the team Hall of Fame concludes.

May 15-18: Second weekend after the NFL Draft: Clubs may elect to hold their three- day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

Except for a three day minicamp that may be held within 15 days of the draft (aka rookie minicamp), this is the first day that players eligible for the 2014 Draft are permitted to participate in minicamps or meetings. If final examinations at a player’s school conclude after this date, the player is prohibited from participating in any activities until after the player’s final day of examinations. If the player has left or leaves school, he is prohibited from participating in any club activities until after the final day of examinations at his school.

~ May 18: Winner from fan voting for Patriots Hall of Fame announced.

May 18-20: NFL Spring League Meeting, San Francisco

~ May 19: Location of future Super Bowl(s) announced.

~ Tue May 19: Clubs with new head coaches may begin OTAs.

May 19-June 18: Phase Three of off-season workout programs, the Organized Team Activities or OTAs begins, which can last four weeks.
– A total of 10 days of Organized Team Activities may be conducted.
– A maximum of three OTA days may be conducted per week during the first two weeks of Phase Three, and four OTA days may be conducted in the third or fourth week, with the mandatory minicamp scheduled for the other week.
– In weeks with three OTA days, a Phase Two day may be conducted on the fourth day.
– Helmets may be worn, but no other pads.
– No live contact is permitted.
– No one-on-one offense vs. defense drills are permitted.
– Special teams drills are permitted, provided no live contact occurs.
– 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permissible.
– Participation is not mandatory.
– OTAs are closed to the public; media access is limited.
– First day clubs with new coaches can begin is May 20; May 27 for clubs with returning coaches.

Teams may have up to a maximum of ten Organized Team Activities (Phase 3 of off-season workout programs).

~ Tue May 26: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin OTAs.

~ Tue May 26: Patriots‘ first OTA.

~ Thu May 28: Pats OTA #2

~ Fri May 29: Pats OTA #3

 

June 1: A three day waiver claiming period goes into effect, and continues until the last business day before July 4.

June 1: For any player removed from the club’s roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 1, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in team salary at the start of the 2016 League Year.

June 1: Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents. If the player has not signed a contract with a club by July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 4 pm, only with his prior club.

June 1: Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a Right of First Refusal Only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.

~ June 1: Pats OTA #4

~ June 2: Pats OTA #5

~ June 4: Pats OTA #6

~ June 8: Pats OTA #7

~ June 9: Pats OTA #8

~ June 9: First day that NFL clubs with a new head coach can hold mandatory minicamp.
This cannot exceed three days, and is also known as Phase Four of off-season workout programs.

~ June 11: Pats OTA #9

~ June 12: Pats OTA #10

Mon June 15: Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).

Tue June 16: First day that NFL clubs with a returning head coach can hold mandatory minicamp.
This cannot exceed three days, and is also known as Phase Four of off-season workout programs.

~ June 16-18: Patriots full squad mandatory mini-camp.

June 21-27: NFL rookie symposium, Aurora OH

 

Tue July 6: A 24 hour waiver claiming period goes in to effect from the first business day after July 4, continuing until the Friday prior to the final regular season weekend.

July 8-20: Clubs are allowed to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veterans.

Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in the CBA) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.

Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first year players.

A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who join the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.

~ Wed July 8: Patriots send tickets out to season ticket holders.

~ Thur July 9: NFL Supplemental Draft

~ Tue July 14: Patriots put single game tickets on sale, 10:00 am

~ Wed July 15: Deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign that player to a multi-year contract or extension. After this date, the player can not be signed beyond that team’s last regular season game.

~ Tue July 21: Patriots rookies report to training camp in Foxboro. Teams are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players no earlier than 22 days prior to the club’s first preseason game.

Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension- credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.

Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players.

A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who join the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.

Wed July 22*: End of signing period for Unrestricted Free Agents who received June 1 tender from their prior club; the old club now has exclusive negotiating rights to these players until the Tuesday after the 10th regular-season weekend.
* Note: July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.

Wed July 22*: End of signing period for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, the prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.
* Note: July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.

~ Wed July 22: Patriots veterans report to training camp (teams can begin training camp 15 days prior to first preseason game); limited media availability, closed to public – camp day #1

~ Thu July 23: Training camp practice, 9:15-11:30 am (open to public, camp day #2)

~ Fri July 24: Training camp practice, 9:15-11:30 am (open to public, camp day #3)

~ Sat July 25: Training camp practice, 9:15-11:30 am (open to public, camp day #4)

~ Sun July 26: Training camp practice, 9:15-11:30 am (open to public, camp day #5)

~ Tue July 28: Training camp practice, 9:45-12:00 (open to public, camp day #6)

~ Wed July 29: Training camp practice, 9:45-12:00 (open to public, camp day #7)

~ Thur July 30: Training camp practice, 9:45-12:00 (open to public, camp day #8)

~ Fri July 31: Patriots Hall of Fame induction ceremony for 2015, 4:30 PM; free and open to public

~ Fri July 31: Annual free ticketed in-stadium practice for season ticket holders and residents of Foxboro; 6:30-9:00 pm (camp day #9)

 

Tue Aug 4: Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season.

Tue Aug 4: Deadline for teams to trade rights for unsigned drafted rookies.
If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2015, and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the draft in the 2016 League Year.

Sat Aug 8: NFL Hall of Fame induction ceremony, Canton OH, 7:00 PM (NFLN); 2015 inductees are running back Jerome Bettis, wide receiver/returner Tim Brown, defensive end/linebacker Charles Haley, contributor Bill Polian, linebacker Junior Seau, guard Will Shields, center Mick Tingelhoff, and contributor Ron Wolf.

Sun Aug 9: Hall of Fame Game (first preseason game); Pittsburgh Steelers vs Minnesota Vikings; Canton OH, 8:00 PM (NBC)

~ Wed Aug 12: Final practice open to public

~ Aug 12-17: NFL preseason week one

~ Aug 19-24: NFL preseason week two

~ Aug 26-31: NFL preseason week three

~ Tues Sept 1: First roster cut down: clubs must reduce their rosters to a maximum of 75 players on the Active List by 4:00 PM.

~ Wed Sept 2: All tryouts on this date and for the remainder of the season must be reported to the league.

~ Thur Sept 3: NFL preseason week four

~ Sat Sept 5: Final roster cut down: clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List by 6:00 PM.

~ Sat Sept 5: Teams with players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options:
– (a) place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable;
– (b) request waivers;
– (c) terminate contract;
– (d) trade contract; or
– (e) continue to count the player on the Active List, as of 6:00 PM.

~ Sun Sept 6: Final day of preseason training camp for all clubs.

~ Sun Sept 6: Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction expires, 12 noon.

~ Sun Sept 6: Once players have cleared waivers, teams may establish a practice squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player active list for less than nine regular-season games; a player cannot be on a practice squad for more than three seasons; 12 noon.

Mon Sept 7: Teams are now permitted to place one player on reserve/injured as “designated for return”, 4:00 pm.

Tue Sept 8: Deadline for all NFL player contracts, practice player contracts, tender offers and miscellaneous amounts to fit within each club’s 2014 salary cap in anticipation of the midnight expiration of the Top 51 Rule.

Wed Sept 9: Top 51 Rule expires for all teams at 12:00 am (midnight Wednesday night/Thursday morning); full salary cap is now enforced.

Thu Sept 10: NFL season kicks off; defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots will host a team yet to be determined.

Sept 10-14: Week 1 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Sept 17-21: Week 2 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Sept 24-28: Week 3 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Tue Sept 29: Waiver change. Beginning on the Tuesday following the third weekend of regular season games, the claiming priority is based on the inverse order of the standing of clubs in the current season’s games.

 

Oct 1-5: Week 4 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Oct 8-12: Week 5 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Oct 15-19: Week 6 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Tue Oct 20: PUP return – beginning the day after the conclusion of the sixth regular season weekend and continuing through the day after the conclusion of the eleventh regular season weekend, clubs are permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform and Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness for a period not to exceed 21 days. Players may be activated during the 21-day practice period or prior to 4:00 on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period.

Oct 22-26: Week 7 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Oct 29-Nov 2: Week 8 of the 2015 NFL regular season

 

Tue Nov 3: Trade Deadline, 4:00 pm

Nov 5-9: Week 9 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Nov 12-16: Week 10 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Nov 19-23: Week 11 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Thur Nov 26: Thanksgiving Day games, commemorating the third anniversary of the Butt-Fumble

Nov 26-30: Week 12 of the 2015 NFL regular season

 

Dec 3-7: Week 13 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Dec 10-14: Week 14 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Dec 17-21: Week 15 of the 2015 NFL regular season

Dec 24-28: Week 16 of the 2015 NFL regular season

 

~ Sat Jan 2, 2016: Salary cap rollover – clubs must provide the Management Council with written notice, signed by the individual club’s owner, indicating the amount, if any, of the club’s 2015 league year salary cap room to be credited to the club’s 2016 team salary.

Sun Jan 3, 2016: All NFL week 17 games

Mon Jan 4, 2016: Futures/Reserves Contracts – teams whose seasons have ended can sign free agents to 2016 contracts (i.e., practice squad players)

Mon Jan 4, 2016: Fifth Year Option – Earliest permissible date for clubs to renegotiate or extend the rookie contract of a drafted rookie who was selected in any round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Any permissible renegotiated or extended player contract will not be considered a rookie contract, and will not be subject to the rules that limit rookie contracts.

Mon Jan 4, 2016: Option exercise period begins for Fifth-Year Option for first-round selections from the 2012 NFL Draft. To exercise the option, the club must give written notice to the player on or after December 29, 2015 but prior to May 3, 2016.

Jan 4-10, 2016: Assistant coaches that are under contract to playoff clubs that have byes in the Wild Card weekend may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of the Wild Card games.

Sat-Sun Jan 9-10, 2016: Wild Card Playoff Games

Jan 9-17, 2016: Assistant coaches that are under contract to playoff clubs that won their Wild Card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of Division Round Playoff games.

Sat-Sun Jan 16-17, 2016: Division Round Playoff Games

~ Sat Jan 16, 2016: East-West Shrine Game, Tropicana Stadium, St. Petersburg FL

Sun Jan 24, 2016: AFC Championship Game, 3:00 PM (CBS)

Sun Jan 24, 2016: NFC Championship Game, 6:30 PM (FOX)

~ Sat Jan 30, 2016: Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile AL

Sun Jan 31, 2016: Pro Bowl (ESPN)

Sun Jan 31, 2016: An assistant coach whose team is participating in the Super Bowl, who has previously interviewed for another club’s head coaching job, may have a second interview with such club no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl.

 

Sun Feb 7, 2016: Super Bowl 50; Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, CA; 6:30 pm on CBS

Mon Feb 8, 2016: Waiver system begins for 2014. A 24-hour claiming period will be in effect through the Friday prior to the last regular season game (waivers requests made on Friday and Saturday of each week will expire at 4:00 p.m. on the following Monday.) Players with at least four previous pension-credited seasons whom a club desires to terminate are not subject to the waiver system until after the trading deadline.

~ Feb 15 – March 1: Existing season ticket holders invoiced for 2016 season tickets, with full payment due around March 31.

 

 

Follow on Twitter @AllThingsPats

 

 

NFL Playoff Picture entering Week 15

Before the season began the consensus was that the NFC was the stronger conference, but 12 AFC teams have winning records, battling for six playoff spots with only three games left to play. In the NFC the situation is six teams vying for five playoff spots, and then three teams with losing records in the mix for the NFC South title and the number four seed. The game with the biggest impact is Dallas at Philadelphia, where the winner takes a one-game lead in the NFC East while the loser could end up missing the post-season entirely. Here is a look at every division and the chances for all of the 22 teams that have not been eliminated from the playoffs. Remarkably there is not a single team that has clinched a playoff berth yet, though that will surely change by the time Sunday’s games are completed.

 

Eliminated Teams and 2015 NFL Draft Order

Below is the order of the 2015 NFL draft, updated through week 14. Strength of schedule is the first tiebreaker; the easier the schedule, the earlier the draft slot. After SOS the next tiebreakers are division and conference records. Teams with an * asterisk are included for draft order, but have not been eliminated from the playoffs.

1. 2-11 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2. 2-11 Tennessee Titans
3. 2-11 Jacksonville Jaguars
4. 2-11 New York Jets
5. 2-11 Oakland Raiders
6. 3-10 Washington Redskins
7. 4-9 New York Giants
8. * 4-8-1 Carolina Panthers
9. * 5-8 Atlanta Falcons
10. 5-8 Chicago Bears
11. * 5-8 New Orleans Saints
12. 6-7 Minnesota Vikings
13. 6-7 (now 6-8) St. Louis Rams

 

AFC East

New England Patriots (10-3) – currently AFC #1 seed
Remaining Games: vs Dolphins, at Jets, vs Bills
Chance of making the playoffs: 99.9%
Chance of winning the division: 99%
Chance of being the #1 AFC seed: 80%
Because the Patriots have defeated the Broncos, Colts and Bengals, they will win a tiebreaker against any of those teams for playoff seeding; it is as if they virtually have one more win in the playoff standings.
– Can clinch a playoff spot: multiple scenarios involving losses by five other teams, even with a loss to Miami.
– Can clinch the division: with a win over Miami.
– Can clinch the #3 seed: with a win over Miami, plus (a) Colts lose; or (b) Bengals and Steelers lose; or (c) Steelers and Broncos lose; or (d) Bengals, Steelers and Ravens lose.
– Can clinch the #2 seed: with a win over Miami, plus losses by the Colts, Bengals and Steelers

Miami Dolphins (7-6) – currently #9 in AFC standings
Remaining Games: at Patriots, vs Vikings, vs Jets
Chance of making the playoffs: 10%
Chance of winning the division: 0.1%
At 7-6 and having to pass three other teams, the Dolphins most likely need to win all three remaining games to have any chance of making the playoffs. A loss at New England would virtually eliminate the Fins as they would probably be down two games with only two to play.

Buffalo Bills (7-6) – currently #11 in AFC standings
Remaining Games: vs Packers, at Raiders, at Patriots
Chance of making the playoffs: 3%
Chance of winning the division: 0.1%
The Bills also need to leapfrog the rest of the 7-6 teams, plus at least two 8-win teams. That means beating both the Packers and the Patriots to finish the season, as well as a game being played three time zones away. Not going to happen.

 

AFC North

Cincinnati Bengals (8-4-1) – currently 1st in division, #4 in AFC
Remaining Games: at Browns, vs Broncos, at Steelers
Chance of making the playoffs: 64%
Chance of winning the division: 33%
Cincy controls its own destiny within the division, but is also the only team that has to play three games against teams with winning records. Because of the tie against Carolina tiebreakers are irrelevant, as it is unlikely the Bengals will finish with the same record as any other team. Cincy probably needs two wins to make the playoffs, so a victory at Cleveland today is vital considering their schedule.

Pittsburgh Steelers (8-5) – currently 2nd in division, #5 in AFC
Remaining Games: at Falcons, vs Chiefs, vs Bengals
Chance of making the playoffs: 63%
Chance of winning the division: 35%
The Steelers finish with an easier schedule than Cincinnati, with one more home game plus a road game against a team with a losing record. Pittsburgh has to be kicking itself for losses to a pair of two-win teams (Bucs and Jets), but two out of three wins should also be enough to get them to the post-season. The season finale against the Bengals could very well be a win or your season is over game for both teams.

Baltimore Ravens (8-5) – currently 3rd in division, #7 in AFC
Remaining Games: vs Jaguars, at Texans, vs Browns
Chance of making the playoffs: 70%
Chance of winning the division: 30%
Although the Ravens are currently on the outside looking in, that will probably not be the case after the completion of Sunday’s games. Baltimore should have no trouble with Jacksonville, while #6 seed San Diego has to play Denver. All three games are against teams that will most likely miss the playoffs, so the Ravens have a good shot at making the playoffs.

Cleveland Browns (7-6) – currently 4th in division, #12 in AFC
Remaining Games: vs Bengals, at Panthers, at Ravens
Chance of making the playoffs: 8%
Chance of winning the division: 2%
The Browns are in the worst spot of all the five 7-6 teams thanks to various tiebreakers. There are scenarios that Cleveland would not be eliminated despite a loss to the Bengals, but realistically they need to win all three games and then still need outside help to make it to the post-season.

 

AFC South

Indianapolis Colts (9-4) – currently 1st in division, #3 in AFC
Remaining Games: vs Texans, at Cowboys, at Titans
Chance of making the playoffs: 97%
Chance of winning the division: 95%
Chance of being the #1 AFC seed: 1%
The Colts appear destined to finish as the number three seed.
– Can clinch the division: with a win over Houston.

Houston Texans (7-6) – currently 2nd in division, #8 in AFC
Remaining Games: at Colts, vs Ravens, vs Jaguars
Chance of making the playoffs: 20%
Chance of winning the division: 5%
The Texans need to win out to have any hope. That would give them the head-to-head tiebreaker over Baltimore, but they would still need either Pittsburgh or San Diego to lose two of their last three games, and no other 7-6 team to finish 3-0.

 

AFC West

Denver Broncos (10-3) – currently 1st in division, #2 in AFC
Remaining Games: at Chargers, at Bengals, vs Raiders
Chance of making the playoffs: 99.9%
Chance of winning the division: 99%
Chance of being the #1 AFC seed: 19%
Denver is virtually assured of winning their fourth straight division title, and has an 87% chance of getting a first round bye. The Broncos really want the number one seed and home field throughout the playoffs, but for that to happen they need the Patriots to lose a game while they finish with three wins. The 43-21 week nine loss to New England is looking more and more as a game that determined where the AFC championship game will be played.
– Can clinch a playoff spot: multiple scenarios involving losses by four other teams, even with a loss to San Diego.
– Can clinch the division: with a win over San Diego.
– Can clinch the #3 seed: with a win over San Diego, plus either (a) Colts lose; or (b) Bengals lose.
– Can clinch the #2 seed: with a win over San Diego, plus losses by the Colts, Bengals and Steelers.

San Diego Chargers (8-5) – currently 2nd in division, #6 in AFC
Remaining Games: vs Broncos, at 49ers, at Chiefs
Chance of making the playoffs: 37%
Chance of winning the division: 1%
The Chargers control their own destiny, but don’t have the easiest schedule. Even if they lose to Denver today, winning the final two games should be enough to get them in the playoffs.

Kansas City Chiefs (7-6) – currently #10 in AFC
Remaining Games: vs Raiders, at Steelers, vs Chargers
Chance of making the playoffs: 27%
Chance of winning the division: zero
Like the other 7-6 teams, the Chiefs cannot afford another loss; it is doubtful that 9-7 will be good enough to make the playoffs in the AFC this year.

 

NFC East

Philadelphia Eagles (9-4) – currently 1st in division, #3 in NFC
Remaining Games: vs Cowboys, at Redskins, at Giants
Chance of making the playoffs: 80%
Chance of winning the division: 70%
The biggest game this weekend is Dallas at Philadelphia. If the Eagles win they will not only have a one-game lead over the Cowboys, they will also own the tiebreaker having swept Dallas this season. On the other hand a loss puts them in a really tough spot, as their conference record would drop to 5-5.

Dallas Cowboys (9-4) – currently 2nd in division, #7 in NFC
Remaining Games: at Eagles, vs Colts, at Redskins
Chance of making the playoffs: 56%
Chance of winning the division: 30%
Six teams make the playoffs, and one of those has to come from the NFC South. That leaves six NFC teams with nine or more wins playing musical chairs, with the chairs representing the five other playoff spots. If the Cowboys don’t win the division then it likely comes down to Dallas, Detroit and Seattle battling for two playoff spots, but with the Lions and Seahawks sporting 7-2 conference records compared to the Cowboys 6-4 mark, Dallas may end up being the one left standing without a chair when the music stops.

 

NFC North

Green Bay Packers (10-3) – currently 1st in division, #2 in NFC
Remaining Games: at Bills, at Bucs, vs Lions
Chance of making the playoffs: 98%
Chance of winning the division: 75%
Chance of being the #1 NFC seed: 30%
There is a good chance that the road to the Super Bowl goes through Lambeau Field, because the Packers will probably win their remaining games while Arizona will have a tough time beating the Seahawks.
– Can clinch a playoff spot with a win over Buffalo, plus a Cowboys loss to the Eagles

Detroit Lions (9-4) – currently 2nd in division, #6 in NFC
Remaining Games: vs Vikings, at Bears, at Packers
Chance of making the playoffs: 80%
Chance of winning the division: 25%
Chance of being the #1 AFC seed: 5%
If the Lions win the next two games while Green Bay loses once, the two teams will play for the division title in week 17. A wild card spot is more likely, even if Detroit loses one of their final three games.

 

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals (11-3) – currently 1st in division, #1 in NFC
Remaining Games: vs Seahawks, at 49ers
Chance of making the playoffs: 99%
Chance of winning the division: 70%
Chance of being the #1 NFC seed: 50%
With Thursday’s victory at St. Louis, the Cardinals virtually assured themselves of a playoff berth. Next week’s game against Seattle is huge: a win and Arizona probably ends up with the number one seed and home field throughout the playoffs, but a loss to the Seahawks could result in their being a wild card team.
– Can clinch a playoff spot: (a) as long as the Cowboys and Eagles don’t tie, or (b) the Lions and Seahawks lose

Seattle Seahawks (9-4) – currently 2nd in division, #5 in NFC
Remaining Games: vs 49ers, at Cardinals, vs Rams
Chance of making the playoffs: 80%
Chance of winning the division: 30%
Chance of being the #1 NFC seed: 15%
Seattle beat Arizona in week 12, so a victory against the Cardinals means a sweep in head to head games, and the Seahawks would win a tiebreaker over Arizona. That would also give Seattle an 8-2 conference record, and probably the #2 seed in the NFC. A loss would not be good; a week 6 loss to Dallas means the Cowboys own the tiebreaker between those two clubs.

San Francisco 49ers (7-6) – currently 3rd in division, #8 in NFC
Remaining Games: at Seahawks, vs Chargers, vs Cardinals
Chance of making the playoffs: 1%
Chance of winning the division: zero
The Niners shocking loss to Oakland all but eliminated them from the playoffs. San Fran needs to win all three games – each against a good team – while at the same time hope all the 8-win teams finish 1-2.

 

NFC South

Atlanta Falcons (5-8) – currently 1st in NFCS
Remaining Games: vs Steelers, at Saints, vs Panthers
Chance of winning the division: 40%
No NFC South team can be a wild card, and the division winner can finish no better than the number four seed. Atlanta controls their own destiny; as long as they win as many games as either New Orleans or Carolina does over the final three weeks, they will host a playoff game despite not finishing with a winning record.

New Orleans Saints (5-8) – currently 2nd in NFCS
Remaining Games: at Bears, vs Falcons, at Bucs
Chance of winning the division: 35%
The winner of next week’s game versus Atlanta will probably represent the NFC South in the playoffs.

Carolina Panthers (4-8-1) – currently 3rd in NFCS
Remaining Games: vs Bucs, vs Browns, at Falcons
Chance of winning the division: 25%
Carolina is in an odd spot. With just three games to play, they are still in contention for both the playoffs as well as the number one overall pick in next spring’s NFL draft.

 

 

Follow on Twitter @AllThingsPats

2014 NFL Calendar and Key Dates for the New England Patriots

2014 New England Patriots Transaction Tracker

 

 

Week 10 NFL and College Television Coverage and Odds

Although the Patriots are on a bye, there are plenty of football games worth checking out this week. The 5-3 Browns take on 5-2-1 Cincinnati in an AFC North showdown and battle for bragging rights in Ohio to start things off Thursday night. Saturday afternoon it’s #13 Baylor at #18 Oklahoma early, followed by #10 Notre Dame at #14 Arizona State. Then Saturday evening BC hosts #25 Louisville while several other key college games kick off soon afterwards: #9 Kansas State at #7 TCU, #6 Alabama at #19 LSU and #16 Ohio State at #8 Michigan State. Then finally in the late night game #5 Oregon goes on the road to play #17 Utah.

On Sunday there are a pair of early games on CBS with implications to the Patriots and the AFC East. Currently the Bills and Dolphins are just one game behind New England in the loss column, and both have interesting matchups against playoff contenders with winning records. Miami is coming off an impressive 37-0 shutout over San Diego, and travels to Detroit to take on the 6-2 Lions and the NFL’s number one (15.8 ppg) defense. Buffalo, who has won three of their last four games, host Kansas City in a game between two 5-3 clubs. The best early game on FOX is between a pair of 4-4 teams that thus far have not lived up to preseason expectations, as San Francisco travels to New Orleans, where the Saints rarely lose.

In the late afternoon there’s a game that looked like a snoozer a few weeks ago, that now could be interesting. The Rams – a team I wrote off early in the season as one that might end up with the number one overall draft pick – have beaten both the Niners and Seahawks, and go for the division trifecta. St. Louis travels to Arizona to take on the Cardinals, who now own the NFL’s best record at 7-1. After that it’s another good game Sunday night with the Bears at Green Bay, and then Carolina and Philadelphia wrap week ten up on Monday night.

 

All the pre-game hype of Brady-Manning XVI paid off for CBS. The broadcast amassed an 18.6 average household rating nationally and a market share of 32. Those numbers represent the third highest rating by CBS since they took over AFC broadcast rights from NBC in 1998, and the game was the second-highest rated game of this season for any of the five networks. For perspective the Pats-Broncos week nine game had a higher television rating than last year’s college football championship game, or last week’s world series game seven. Since CBS began broadcasting AFC games sixteen years ago their three highest-rated NFL games have all involved the Pats: the 2007 game between undefeated Indy and undefeated New England, Sunday’s game, and the 2011 regular season game at Denver when the Broncos were riding a six-game winning streak with Tim Tebow at quarterback.

In other NFL broadcasting-related news, two week eleven games have flip-flopped time slots. The Eagles-Packers game has been moved back to a late afternoon start, while the Vikings-Bears game will kickoff early. Considering the records of those four teams, the switch makes perfect sense as it sets up what will probably be a game between a 6-3 team and a 7-2 club in front of an almost national television audience; it will be a much more watched broadcast than Minnesota-Chicago or Detroit-Arizona would have been.

 

Cleveland Browns (5-3) at Cincinnati Bengals (5-2-1) ★★★★
Thursday night game on NFLN
Announcing crew: Jim Nantz, Phil Simms, Tracy Wolfson
Bengals favored by 6 (5½ to 6½ depending where you shop), with a point total of 44½ (44-45 at various venues)
Browns +240 or Bengals -280 is the average money line
Broadcast in all US television markets

Dallas Cowboys (6-3) vs Jacksonville Jaguars (1-8) in London ★★
Early game on FOX
Announcing crew: Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston, Tony Siragusa
Cowboys favored by 5 (4½ to 6½ depending where you shop), with an over/under of 44 (43½ to 46)
No money lines yet; outlets are waiting for the initial injury report on Tony Romo
Broadcast in 30 television markets, including Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Jacksonville, Ocala, Cincinnati, DC and Virginia

Miami Dolphins (5-3) at Detroit Lions (6-2) ★★★★
Early game on CBS
Announcing crew: Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts, Jenny Dell
Lions favored by 3 (2½ to 3), with a point total of 43½ (43½ to 44)
Miami +135 and Detroit -155 is the early average money line
Broadcast in Florida (except Tampa and Jacksonville), Georgia (except Atlanta), Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana (except New Orleans), Texas (except Houston), Indiana (except Indianapolis), Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Arizona, Oregon (except Portland), Washington, Alaska and Hawaii

Kansas City Chiefs (5-3) at Buffalo Bills (5-3) ★★★★
Early game on CBS
Announcing crew: Spero Dedes, Solomon Wilcots, Chris Fischer
Chiefs favored by 1½ (1½ to 2½), with a point total of 42 (41½ to 43)
Kansas City -125 or Buffalo +105 is the money line
Broadcast in 31 television markets, including Providence, Boston, New Hampshire, Maine, New York (except NYC and Albany), Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma

San Francisco 49ers (4-4) at New Orleans Saints (4-4) ★★★★
Early game on FOX
Announcing crew: Kevin Burkhardt, John Lynch, Pam Oliver
Saints favored by 4 (3½ to 4½), with a point total of 49 (48½ to 49½)
San Francisco +190 and New Orleans -220 is the average money line
Broadcast in most markets, excluding New York City, Buffalo, Detroit, DC, Virginia, Georgia, Florida (except Miami, West Palm and Fort Myers), Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico

Tennessee Titans (2-6) at Baltimore Ravens (5-4) ★★
Early game on CBS
Announcing crew: Andrew Catalon, Steve Beuerlein, Steve Tasker
Ravens favored by 9½ (9½ to 10), with a point total of 44
Tennessee +400 and Baltimore -500 is the typical money line
Broadcast in 13 markets, including DC, Maryland, Tennessee, Huntsville, Columbus MS and Houston

Pittsburgh Steelers (6-3) at New York Jets (1-8) ★★★
Early game on CBS
Announcing crew: Kevin Harlan, Rich Gannon, Otis Livingston
Steelers favored by 4 (3½ to 5½), with a point total of 45½ (45 to 46)
Pittsburgh -205 and New York +180 is the typical money line
Broadcast in 40 television markets, including Hartford, Springfield MA, Vermont, NYC, Albany, Pennsylvania, Ohio (except Toledo), West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Portland OR

Atlanta Falcons (2-6) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-7)
Early game on FOX
Announcing crew: Thom Brennaman, David Diehl, Laura Okmin
Pick’em (ranging from Falcons -1½ to Bucs -1), with a point total of 46 (45½ to 46½)
Typical money line is -110 for either team
Broadcast in eleven markets: all six in Georgia, plus five in Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Tallahassee, Panama City and West Palm Beach)

Denver Broncos (6-2) at Oakland Raiders (0-8) ★★★
Late game on CBS
Announcing crew: Greg Gumbel, Trent Green, Evan Washburn
Broncos favored by 11½ (11 to 12), with a point total of 49 (49 to 49½)
Denver -670 and Oakland +530 is the typical money line
The only late CBS game is scheduled to be broadcast in 59 markets, including Jacksonville, Tampa, Atlanta, New Orleans, Indianapolis, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California and New Mexico

St. Louis Rams (3-5) at Arizona Cardinals (7-1) ★★★★
Late game on FOX
Announcing crew: Chris Myers, Ronde Barber, Jennifer Hale
Cardinals favored by 7 (7 to 7½), with a point total of 44 (43 to 43½)
St. Louis +290 and Arizona -330 is the typical money line
Broadcast in eleven television markets: all three in Arizona, southern Illinois, Topeka KS, Davenport IA, and most of Missouri

New York Giants at Seattle Seahawks ★★★★
Late game on FOX
Announcing crew: Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Erin Andrews
Seahawks favored by 9 (8½ to 9), with a point total of 43½ (43 to 43½)
Money line opened up with the Giants +360 and Seattle -440
Broadcast most everywhere except San Francisco, Arizona, southern Illinois and Missouri

Chicago Bears (3-5) at Green Bay Packers (5-3) ★★★★
Sunday night game on NBC
Announcing crew: Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth, Michele Tafoya
Packers favored by 7 (7 to 7½), with a point total of 53 (53-53½)
Chicago +310 or Green Bay -350 is the early money line
Broadcast in all markets

Carolina Panthers (3-5-1) at Philadelphia Eagles (6-2) ★★★★
Monday night game on ESPN
Announcing crew: Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden, Lisa Salters
Eagles favored by 6 (5½ to 6 depending where you shop), with an over/under of 48 (47½-49)
Carolina +210 or Philadelphia -250 is the typical early money line
Broadcast in all markets

Bye week: New England Patriots (7-2), Indianapolis Colts (6-3), San Diego Chargers (5-4), Houston Texans (4-5), Minnesota Vikings (4-5) and Washington Redskins (3-6)

 

Here is a listing of some of the college football games being played on Saturday:

Noon — Penn State (-6½, two units) at Indiana (over 44)
Noon — #11 Georgia at Kentucky (+10½), on ESPN (under 58)
Noon — #13 Baylor (+5½, one unit) at #18 Oklahoma, on FS1 (over 73½)
3:30 — Texas A&M at #3 Auburn (-20½, one unit), on CBS (over 66)
3:30 — #10 Notre Dame at #14 Arizona St (-2½, one unit), on ABC (under 59½)
3:30 — #20 West Virginia at Texas (+4½), on FS1 (over 52)
3:30 — Michigan at Northwestern (+1½), on ESPN2 (over 41)
6:30 — Virginia at #2 Florida St (-18½, one unit), on ESPN (over 55½, one unit)
7:00 — #22 UCLA (-4½, one unit) at Washington, on FS1 (over 56, one unit)
7:15 — #25 Louisville (-2½, one unit) at Boston College, on ESPN2 (over 45½)
7:30 — #9 Kansas St (+6) at #7 Texas Christian, on FOX (over 59)
8:00 — #6 Alabama (-6, one unit) at #19 Louisiana St, on CBS (over 45½)
8:00 — #16 Ohio St at #8 Michigan St (-3, one unit), on ABC (under 63½, one unit)
10:00 — #5 Oregon at #17 Utah (+9½, one unit), on ESPN (under 62½)

 

The views and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the publisher of this website. Neither the author nor this website promote or advocate gambling. This is solely for entertainment purposes only. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, please call 1-888-ADMIT-IT.

 

 

Follow on Twitter @AllThingsPats

2014 NFL Calendar and Key Dates for the New England Patriots

2014 New England Patriots Transaction Tracker

 

 

Week 9 NFL and College Television Coverage and Odds

Lost in the hype of Manning-Brady XVI is that there will be a few other good NFL games this week. The Saints travel to Carolina in an important NFC South game on Thursday night. No more CBS for Thursday games – from here on it will be the same CBS broadcasting and production crew, but will televise strictly on the NFL Network – so some of you with low tier basic cable and no cable box may have to find another outlet to watch the game. The Pats-Broncos game gets near-national coverage in the late afternoon game; my condolences to those viewers in Arizona, northern California, Oregon and Washington for lack of easy access to this game. Sunday night it’s Baltimore at Pittsburgh, which is always a close game, and then it’s the Colts at the Giants on Monday night. There are also a few decent early afternoon games as a prelude to the Pats-Denver battle: San Diego at Miami, Philadelphia at Houston and Arizona at Dallas appear to be the best of the seven early games.

 

New Orleans Saints (3-4) at Carolina Panthers (3-4-1) ★★★
Thursday night game on NFLN
Announcing crew: Jim Nantz, Phil Simms, Tracy Wolfson
Saints favored by 2½ (1½ to 3 depending where you shop), with a point total of 48 (48-49)
Saints -140 and Carolina +120 is the average money line
Broadcast in all US television markets

San Diego Chargers (5-3) at Miami Dolphins (4-3) ★★★
Early game on CBS
Announcing crew: Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts, Jenny Dell
Dolphins favored by 2 (1 to 2 depending where you shop), with a point total of 44 (43½-45)
San Diego +105 and Miami -125 is the average money line
Broadcast in most markets

Jacksonville Jaguars (1-7) at Cincinnati Bengals (4-2-1)
Early game on CBS
Announcing crew: Spero Dedes, Solomon Wilcots, Chris Fischer
Bengals favored by 11 (11 to 11½ depending where you shop), with a point total of 43½ (43-43½)
Jacksonville +475 and Cincinnati -650 is the typical money line
Broadcast in 28 markets, including Jacksonville, Gainesville, Tallahassee, Savannah, Maryland, western Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio (except Cleveland), and Kentucky

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-6) at Cleveland Browns (4-3) ★★
Early game on FOX
Announcing crew: Thom Brennaman, David Diehl, Laura Okmin
Browns favored by 6½ (6 to 7 depending where you shop, but mostly 6½), with a point total of 43½ (43½-44)
Tampa Bay +240 and Cleveland -280 is the typical money line
Broadcast in 17 markets: Florida (except Miami, West Palm Beach and Jacksonville), Ohio, western Pennsylvania and West Virginia

Washington (3-5) at Minnesota Vikings (3-5) ★★
Early game on FOX
Announcing crew: Chris Myers, Ronde Barber, Jennifer Hale
Vikings favored by 2½ (2½ to 3 depending where you shop), with a point total of 44½
No money line yet due to Washington playing Monday night
Broadcast in 27 markets: DC, Maryland, Virginia, Raleigh, Greenville NC, Eau Claire WI, LaCrosse WI, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Billings MT and Fairbanks AK

Philadelphia Eagles (5-2) at Houston Texans (4-4) ★★★
Early game on FOX
Announcing crew: Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston, Tony Siragusa
Eagles favored by 2 (2 to 2½ depending where you shop), with a point total of 48½ (48-48½)
Philadelphia -130 and Houston +110 is the typical money line
Broadcast in five markets: Houston, Philadelphia, Scranton, Harrisburg and Johnstown PA

New York Jets (1-7) at Kansas City Chiefs (4-3)
Early game on CBS
Announcing crew: Greg Gumbel, Trent Green, Evan Washburn
Chiefs favored by 9½ (9½ to 10 depending where you shop), with a point total of 41½ (41½-42)
Jets +400 and Kansas City -500 is the typical money line
Broadcast in 29 markets: Providence, Hartford, Vermont, New York (except Buffalo), Scranton, Nashville, Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Utah

Arizona Cardinals (6-1) at Dallas Cowboys (6-2) ★★★★
Early game on FOX
Announcing crew: Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Erin Andrews
Cowboys favored by 4 (3½ to 4½ depending where you shop), with a point total of 48 (47½-48)
Arizona +150 and Dallas -175 is the typical money line
Broadcast in most markets, including all of New England

St. Louis Rams (2-5) at San Francisco 49ers (4-3) ★★
Late game on FOX
Announcing crew: Kevin Burkhardt, John Lynch, Pam Oliver
Niners favored by 10 (9½ to 10 depending where you shop), with a point total of 44 (43½-44)
St. Louis +450 and San Francisco -600 is the typical money line
Broadcast in 21 markets, including Miami, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, southern Illinois, Missouri, Reno, San Diego and northern California

Denver Broncos (6-1) at New England Patriots (6-2) ★★★★★
Late game on CBS
Announcing crew: Jim Nantz, Phil Simms, Tracy Wolfson
Broncos favored by 3 (3 to 3½ depending where you shop), with a point total of 55 (54½-56)
Denver -165 and New England +145 is the typical money line
Broadcast in all markets except those showing the Oakland-Seattle game (below)

Oakland Raiders (0-7) at Seattle Seahawks (4-3)
Late game on CBS
Announcing crew: Kevin Harlan, Rich Gannon, Otis Livingston
Hawks favored by 15 (14½ to 16 depending where you shop), with a point total of 43 (42½-43½)
Oakland +1000 and Seattle -1550 is the typical money line
Broadcast in 20 markets in Arizona, northern California, Oregon and Washington

Baltimore Ravens (5-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (5-3) ★★★★
Sunday night game on NBC
Announcing crew: Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth, Michele Tafoya
Pick’em game (either team favored by up to one depending where you shop), with a point total of 48 (47½-48½)
Baltimore -110 and Pittsburgh -110 is the typical money line
Broadcast in all markets

Indianapolis Colts (5-3) at New York Giants (3-4) ★★★
Monday night game on ESPN
Announcing crew: Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden, Lisa Salters
Colts favored by 3 (3 to 3½ depending where you shop), with a point total of 51 (50½-52)
Indianapolis -175 and New York +155 is the typical money line
Broadcast in all markets

 

Here is a listing of some of the college football games being played this week:

Thursday Oct 30
7:30 pm ET – #2 Florida State (-3½) at #25 Louisville (over/under 50½) — ESPN

Friday Oct 31
8:00 – Cincinnati (-4) at Tulane (56½) — ESPN2

Saturday Nov 1
12:00 – #18 Oklahoma (16½) at Iowa State (62½) — FS1
12:00 – #23 East Carolina (-7) at Temple (58)
12:00 – #24 Duke at Pittsburgh (-4), (51)
12:00 – Northwestern at Iowa (-4), (42) — BTN
12:00 – Maryland at Penn State (-3½), (48) — ESPN2
12:00 – Wisconsin (-11) at Rutgers — ESPN
12:00 – Central Florida (-11½) at UConn (38½) — CBSSN
12:30 – North Carolina at Miami (-17), (70)
12:30 – Boston College at Va Tech (-3), (42)
3:00 – North Carolina St at Syracuse (-3½), (51)
3:30 – #7 Texas Christian (-5½) at #20 West Virginia (72½) — ABC
3:30 – Virginia at Georgia Tech (-3½), (54½)
3:30 – Indiana at Michigan (-7), (53½)
4:00 – Kansas at #13 Baylor (-36), (61½) — FS1
4:00 – Kentucky at Missouri (-6½), (49½)
4:00 – Houston (-9½) at South Florida (44)
4:30 – Southern Cal (-7) at Washington St (63½)
7:00 – #3 Auburn at #4 Ole Miss (-2½), (51) — ESPN
7:15 – Arkansas at #1 Mississippi St (-10½), (64½) — ESPN2
7:30 – Stanford at #5 Oregon (-7½), (54½) — FOX
7:30 – Tennessee at South Carolina _7), (56½)
7:30 – Texas at Texas Tech (-24½) — FS1
8:00 – Oklahoma St at #9 Kansas St (-14½), (52) — ABC
8:00 – #10 Notre Dame (-14) at Navy (55½) — CBS
8:00 – Illinois at #16 Ohio State (-28½), (65)– ABC
10:30 – #12 Arizona at #22 UCLA (-6½), (70½) — ESPN
10:30 – Cal at Oregon State (-3), (67½)
11:00 – #17 Utah at #14 Arizona St (-5½), (56½) — FS1

 

 

Follow on Twitter @AllThingsPats

2014 NFL Calendar and Key Dates for the New England Patriots

2014 New England Patriots Transaction Tracker

 

 

2014 NFL Calendar and Key Dates for the New England Patriots

With free agency and the draft on the horizon after the NFL’s final game of the season, here is a preliminary look at the 2014 calendar for the Patriots and the NFL. Hopefully some of you will find this to be a handy piece of reference over the course of the year. Dates with an ~ elliptical are best guesses based on recent history, while the rest of the dates should be accurate. Updates will be made periodically throughout the year as more information becomes available. Times designated are eastern time zone unless noted otherwise.

 

Jan 4-5: Wild Card Playoff Games

Jan 5: Assistant coaches that are under contract to playoff clubs that have byes in the Wild Card weekend may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of the Wild Card games.

Jan 11-12: Division Round Playoff Games

Jan 12: Assistant coaches that are under contract to playoff clubs that won their Wild Card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of Division Round Playoff games.

Jan 18: East-West Shrine Game, St. Petersburg FL

Jan 19: Conference Championship Games

Jan 25: Senior Bowl, Mobile AL

Jan 25: An assistant coach whose team is participating in the Super Bowl, who has previously interviewed for another club’s head coaching job, may have a second interview with such club no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl.

 

Feb 2: Super Bowl 48, East Rutherford NJ; 6:30 pm on CBS

Feb 3: Waiver system begins for 2014. A 24-hour claiming period will be in effect through the Friday prior to the last regular season game (waivers requests made on Friday and Saturday of each week will expire at 4:00 p.m. on the following Monday.) Players with at least four previous pension-credited seasons whom a club desires to terminate are not subject to the waiver system until after the trading deadline.

Feb 8-9: Regional Combine, Houston TX

~ Feb 15 – March 1: Existing season ticket holders invoiced for 2014 season tickets, with full payment due around March 31

Feb 15-16: Regional Combine, Florham Pak NJ

Feb 17: First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

Feb 19-25: NFL Combine, Indianapolis IN

Feb 22: Regional Combine, Los Angeles CA

Feb 28: League announces official salary cap figures for 2014. This will include each team’s individual adjusted cap number, and how much was carried forward from the previous season.
edit: NFL announces that the 2014 cap will be $133 million per club, a $10 million increase over 2013.
edit 2: Per Miguel at PatsCap.com, the Patriots adjusted cap number for 2014 will be $139,184,450; that leaves the Pats with $15,024,469 in cap space with 65 signed or tendered players at this point in time.

 

March 1-April 2: Colleges hold their Pro Days for NFL scouts.

March 1: Regional Combine, Tampa FL

March 1: Teams are no longer required to grant permission to another team to discuss the position of head coach with an assistant coach.

March 3: Prior to 4:00 p.m., deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 8-9: Regional Combine, Atlanta GA

March 8-11: Free Agent Contact Commences
Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2013 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m. on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m. on March 11.

March 11: Start of the 2014 League Year
The 2014 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4:00 p.m. The first day of the 2014 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m. on March 11. Clubs will receive a Personnel Notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., on March 11.

March 11: Prior to 4:00 p.m. clubs must exercise options for 2014 on all players who have option clauses in their 2013 contracts.

March 11: Prior to 4:00 p.m. clubs must submit Qualifying Offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.

March 11: Prior to 4:00 p.m. clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2013 contracts and who have fewer than three Accrued Seasons of free agency credit.

March 11: Top-51 Rule begins. All clubs must be under the 2014 Salary Cap prior by 4:00 p.m.

March 11: All 2013 player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m.

March 11: Trading period for 2014 begins at 4:00 p.m., after expiration of all 2013 contracts.

March 15: Regional Combine, Chicago IL

March 22: Regional Combine, Miami FL

March 22-23: Regional Combine, Seattle WA

March 23-26: Annual NFL Owners Meeting, Orlando FL

March 24: Compensatory Draft Picks Announced

March 24: With compensatory picks announced, the full order of all draft picks will be finalized and announced.

edit: Patriots receive a 4th-round compensatory pick, the 49th pick of the 4th round and 140th pick overall

Pats’ current draft picks:
1.29.29 (1st round, 29th of round, 29th overall)
2.30.62 (2nd round, 30th of round, 62nd overall)
3.29.93
4.30.130
4.40.140 (compensatory selection; cannot be traded)
6.22.198 (from Philadelphia in Isaac Sopoaga trade)
6.30.206
7.29.244

5.29.169 dealt away to Philadelphia in Isaac Sopoaga trade

March 29-30: Regional Combine, Indianapolis IN

March 29-30: Regional Combine, Baltimore MD

 

April 2: Patriots Hall of Fame Nomination Committee meets to select three finalists for this year’s fan election process.

April 2: Draft Day movie special screening for season ticket holders, at Showcase Cinema De Lux at Patriot Place. Doors open at 5:00 PM; Nate Solder and Scott Zolak to speak at 6:00, with movie starting at 6:30.

April 5: Patriots‘ Cheerleader Tryouts, Dana Farber Field House at Gillette Stadium, 10:00 am

April 7: Clubs with new head coaches may begin off-season workout programs

April 7-21: Per the CBA this is Phase One of off-season workout programs, and can last for two weeks.
– It is limited to just strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation.
– Only strength and conditioning coaches may be present; other coaches may not attend or observe in any way.
– Footballs cannot be used, with the exception of quarterbacks throwing to uncovered receivers, and no helmets may be worn.
– First day clubs with new head coaches can begin Phase One is April 7.
– First day clubs with returning head coaches can begin Phase One is April 21.

April 9: NFL preseason schedule announced
– Preseason nationally televised games are announced with exact date and time.
– All other games are announced by week, with exact date and time released about a week later.

April 12-13: Super Regional Combine, Detroit MI

April 13: 2014 Patriots NFL Draft Preview Party; Noon-4 PM, Putnam Club West, Gillette Stadium. Free event for season ticket holders, waiting list members and guests. Hosted by espnBoston; panel includes Trey Wingo, Mike Reiss, Field Yates, Trevor Matich, Tedy Bruschi and special guest Chandler Jones.

April 15: Patriots announce three finalists for the team’s Hall of Fame; fan voting commences, concluding on May 15. The winner will be announced about a week later and the induction ceremony will likely be held the day prior to the first preseason game, with a halftime ceremony at the home opener.

April 17: Exact date and times for remaining NFL preseason games released.

April 19: Final auditions for Patriots‘ cheerleader tryouts

April 21: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin off-season workout programs

April 21: Pats voluntary off-season strength and conditioning program begins, lasting two weeks; the entire off-season program concludes June 19.

April 21-May 26: Phase Two of off-season workout programs begins, which can last three weeks.
– All coaches are now permitted on the field.
– Workouts may include individual player instructions and drills, with offense or defense only, but no offense and defense at the same time.
– Phase two includes on-field workouts, drills, and team practice conducted on a “separate” basis.
– Special-teams drills may also be conducted without opposing units on the field at the same time.
– There can be no live contact and no one-on-one competition, and no bump-and-run coverage of receivers by defensive backs.
– Helmets are still not permitted.
– First day clubs with new coaches can begin is April 21; May 5 for clubs with returning coaches.

April 23: NFL regular season schedule announced, 8:00 PM (NFLN and ESPN)

 

May 2: Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign Offer Sheets.

May 7: Deadline for old clubs to match offer sheets submitted by Restricted Free Agents

May 8-10: 2014 NFL Draft, New York City NY

May 8: First round of the NFL Draft, New York City, 8:00 PM (NFLN and ESPN)

May 9: Second and third round of the NFL Draft, 7:00 PM (NFLN and ESPN)

May 10: Rounds 4-7 of the NFL Draft, 12 Noon (NFLN and ESPN)

May 10: Teams can sign undrafted free agents (UDFA) as soon as the draft is concluded

~ May 13-15: Pats rookie mini-camp
edit: cancelled due to late date of 2014 draft, so that the rookies could instead join their teammates in off-season organized team activities

May 15: Fan voting for the team Hall of Fame concludes

May 19: Winner from fan voting for Patriots Hall of Fame announced

May 19: Winner of fan vote for team Hall of Fame announced

May 19-21: NFL Spring League Meeting, Atlanta GA

May 20: Location of future Super Bowl(s) announced

May 20: Except for a three day minicamp that may be held within 15 days of the draft (aka rookie minicamp), this is the first day that players eligible for the 2014 Draft are permitted to participate in minicamps or meetings. If final examinations at a player’s school conclude after this date, the player is prohibited from participating in any activities until after the player’s final day of examinations. If the player has left or leaves school, he is prohibited from participating in any club activities until after the final day of examinations at his school

May 20: Clubs with new head coaches may begin OTAs

May 20-June 19: Phase Three of off-season workout programs, the Organized Team Activities or OTAs begins, which can last four weeks.
– A total of 10 days of Organized Team Activities may be conducted.
– A maximum of three OTA days may be conducted per week during the first two weeks of Phase Three, and four OTA days may be conducted in the third or fourth week, with the mandatory minicamp scheduled for the other week.
– In weeks with three OTA days, a Phase Two day may be conducted on the fourth day.
– Helmets may be worn, but no other pads.
– No live contact is permitted.
– No one-on-one offense vs. defense drills are permitted.
– Special teams drills are permitted, provided no live contact occurs.
– 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permissible.
– Participation is not mandatory.
– OTAs are closed to the public; media access is limited.
– First day clubs with new coaches can begin is May 20; May 27 for clubs with returning coaches.

Teams may have up to a maximum of ten Organized Team Activities (Phase 3 of off-season workout programs).

May 27: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin OTAs

May 27: Patriots‘ first OTA

May 29: Pats OTA #2

May 30: Pats OTA #3

 

June 1: A three day waiver claiming period goes into effect, and continues until the last business day before July 4

June 2: Deadline for Prior Club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents. If the player has not signed a Player Contract with a Club by July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a Player Contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m., only with his Prior Club.

June 2: Deadline for Prior Club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a Qualifying Offer for a Right of First Refusal Only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.

June 2: Pats OTA #4

June 3: Pats OTA #5

June 5: Pats OTA #6

June 9: Pats OTA #7

June 10: Pats OTA #8

June 10: First day that NFL clubs with a new head coach can hold mandatory minicamp
This cannot exceed three days, and is also known as Phase Four of off-season workout programs

June 12: Pats OTA #9

June 13: Pats OTA #10

June 16: Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to accept a qualifying offer

June 16: Deadline for a club to withdraw a qualifying offer to restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by submitting a June 15 Tender: a one-year deal at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).

June 17: First day that NFL clubs with a returning head coach can hold mandatory minicamp.
This cannot exceed three days, and is also known as Phase Four of off-season workout programs.

June 17-19: Patriots full squad mandatory mini-camp.

June 23-29: NFL rookie symposium, Aurora OH

 

Mon July 7: A 24 hour waiver claiming period goes in to effect from the first business day after July 4, continuing until the Friday prior to the final regular season weekend.

July 8-20: Clubs are allowed to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veterans.

Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in the CBA) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.

Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first year players.

A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who join the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.

Wed July 9: Patriots send tickets out to season ticket holders.

Thur July 10: NFL Supplemental Draft

Tue July 15: Patriots put single game tickets on sale, 10:00 AM

Tue July 15: Deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign that player to a multi-year contract or extension. After this date, the player can not be signed beyond that team’s last regular season game.

Wed July 16: Patriots rookies report to training camp in Foxboro. Teams are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players no earlier than 22 days prior to the club’s first preseason game.

Wed July 23*: End of signing period for Unrestricted Free Agents who received June 1 tender from their prior club; the old club now has exclusive negotiating rights to these players until the Tuesday after the 10th regular-season weekend.
* Note: July 23 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.

Wed July 23*: End of signing period for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, the prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.
* Note: July 23 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.

Wed July 23: Patriots veterans report to training camp (teams can begin training camp 15 days prior to first preseason game); limited media availability, closed to public – camp day #1

Thu July 24: Training camp practice, 9:15-11:30 AM (open to public, camp day #2)

Fri July 25: Training camp practice, 9:15-11:30 AM (open to public, camp day #3)

Sat July 26: Training camp practice, 9:15-11:30 AM (open to public, camp day #4)

Sun July 27: Training camp practice, 9:15-11:30 AM (open to public, camp day #5)

Tue July 29: Training camp practice, 9:45-12:00 (open to public, camp day #6)
Attendee prize giveaway: One (1) Signed Tom Brady Football

Wed July 30: Training camp practice, 9:45-12:00 (open to public, camp day #7)
Attendee prize giveaway: One (1) Signed Vince Wilfork Football

Thur July 31: Training camp practice, 9:45-12:00 (open to public, camp day #8)
Attendee prize giveaway: One (1) Signed Rob Gronkowski Football

 

Fri Aug 1: Patriots Hall of Fame induction ceremony for 2014, 4:30 PM; free and open to public

Fri Aug 1: Annual free ticketed in-stadium practice for season ticket holders and residents of Foxboro; 6:30-9:00 PM (camp day #9)

Sat Aug 2: NFL Hall of Fame induction ceremony, Canton OH, 7:00 PM (NFLN); 2014 inductees are Ray Guy, Derrick Brooks, Walter Jones, Aeneas Williams, Claude Humphrey, Michael Strahan and Andre Reed.

Sun Aug 3: Hall of Fame Game (first preseason game, Bills vs Giants), Canton OH, 8:00 PM (NBC)

Mon Aug 4: Patriots at Washington’s training camp for joint practice, 8:30-11:00 (camp day #12)

Tue Aug 5: Patriots at Washington’s training camp for joint practice, 1:30-3:45 (camp day #13)

Tue Aug 5: Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season.

Tue Aug 5: Deadline for teams to trade rights for unsigned drafted rookies.
If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2014, and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the draft in the 2015 League Year.

Wed Aug 6: Patriots at Washington’s training camp for joint practice, 8:30-10:45 (camp day #14)

Aug 6-11: NFL preseason week one

Thurs Aug 7: New England Patriots at Washington, 7:30 (WBZ, et al)

Sun Aug 10: Training camp practice, 2:30-5:00 (closed to public due to Luke Bryan practice)

Mon Aug 11: Training camp practice, 2:30-5:00 (open to public, camp day #19)
Attendee prize raffle: signed 50th anniversary team mini-helmet

Tue Aug 12: Joint practice with Philadelphia Eagles in Foxboro, 2:00-4:30 (open to public)
Attendee prize raffle: autographed Chandler Jones mini-helmet

Wed Aug 13: Joint practice with Philadelphia Eagles, 2:00-4:30 (open to public, camp day #21)
Attendee prize raffle: Patriots merchandise pack
Final practice open to public
practice still held but canceled to public due to inclement weather

Aug 13-18: NFL preseason week two

Thu Aug 14: Training camp practice, 9:30-11:00
Joint practice with Eagles; walk-through, no pads (closed to public, camp day #22)

Fri Aug 15: Philadelphia Eagles at New England Patriots, 7:30 (WBZ, et al)

Mon Aug 18: Training camp practice, 2:00-4:30 (open to public, camp day #26)
Final day of public practice; opened to public to make up for Aug 13 cancellation

Aug 20-25: NFL preseason week three

Fri Aug 22: Carolina Panthers at New England Patriots, 7:30 (WBZ, et al)

Tues Aug 26: First roster cut down: clubs must reduce their rosters to a maximum of 75 players on the Active List by 4:00 PM.

Wed Aug 27: All tryouts on this date and for the remainder of the season must be reported to the league.

Thur Aug 28: NFL preseason week four

Thurs Aug 28: New England Patriots at New York Giants, 7:30 (WBZ, et al)

Sat Aug 30: Final roster cut down: clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List by 6:00 PM.

Sat Aug 30: Teams with players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options:
– (a) place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable;
– (b) request waivers;
– (c) terminate contract;
– (d) trade contract; or
– (e) continue to count the player on the Active List, as of 6:00 PM.

Sun Aug 31: Final day of preseason training camp for all clubs.

Sun Aug 31: Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction expires, 12 noon.

Sun Aug 31: Once players have cleared waivers, teams may establish a practice squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player active list for less than nine regular-season games; a player cannot be on a practice squad for more than three seasons; 12 noon.

 

Tue Sept 2: Teams are now permitted to place one player on reserve/injured as “designated for return”, 4:00 PM.

Wed Sept 3: Deadline for all NFL player contracts, practice player contracts, tender offers and miscellaneous amounts to fit within each club’s 2014 salary cap in anticipation of the midnight expiration of the Top 51 Rule.

Thur Sept 4: Top 51 Rule expires for all teams at 12:00 AM (midnight Wednesday night/Thursday morning); full salary cap is now enforced.

Sept 4-8: Week 1 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Thur Sept 4: First regular season game of NFL season, Packers at Seahawks; 8:30 PM (NBC)

Sun Sept 7: New England Patriots at Miami Dolphins, 1:00 PM (CBS)

Sept 11-15: Week 2 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Sept 14: New England Patriots at Minnesota Vikings, 1:00 PM (CBS)

Sept 18-22: Week 3 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Sept 21: Oakland Raiders at New England Patriots, 1:00 PM (CBS)

Tue Sept 23: Waiver change – beginning on the Tuesday following the third weekend of regular season games, the claiming priority is based on the inverse order of the standing of clubs in the current season’s games.

Sept 25-29: Week 4 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Mon Sept 29: New England Patriots at Kansas City Chiefs, 8:30 PM (ESPN)

 

Oct 2-6: Week 5 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Oct 5: Cincinnati Bengals at New England Patriots, 8:30 PM (NBC)

Oct 9-13: Week 6 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Oct 12: New England Patriots at Buffalo Bills, 1:00 PM (CBS)

Tue Oct 14: PUP return – beginning the day after the conclusion of the sixth regular season weekend and continuing through the day after the conclusion of the eleventh regular season weekend, clubs are permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform and Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness for a period not to exceed 21 days. Players may be activated during the 21-day practice period or prior to 4:00 on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period.

Oct 16-20: Week 7 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Thur Oct 16: New York Jets at New England Patriots, 8:25 PM (CBS, NFLN)

Oct 23-27: Week 8 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Oct 26: Chicago Bears at New England Patriots, 1:00 PM (FOX)

Tue Oct 28: Trade Deadline, 4:00 PM

 

Oct 30-Nov 3: Week 9 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Nov 2: Denver Broncos at New England Patriots, 4:25 PM (FOX)

Nov 6-10: Week 10; bye week for the Patriots

Nov 13-17: Week 11 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Nov 16: New England Patriots at Indianapolis Colts, 8:30 PM (NBC)

Nov 20-24: Week 12 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Nov 23: Detroit Lions at New England Patriots, 1:00 PM (FOX)

Thur Nov 27: Thanksgiving Day games, commemorating the second anniversary of the Butt-Fumble

Nov 27-Dec 1: Week 13 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Nov 30: New England Patriots at Green Bay Packers, 4:25 PM (CBS)

 

Dec 4-8: Week 14 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Dec 7: New England Patriots at San Diego Chargers, 8:30 PM (NBC)

Dec 11-15: Week 15 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Dec 14: Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots, 1:00 PM (CBS)

Dec 18-22: Week 16 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Dec 21: New England Patriots at New York Jets, 1:00 PM (CBS)

Sat Dec 27: Salary cap rollover – clubs must provide the Management Council with written notice, signed by the individual club’s owner, indicating the amount, if any, of the club’s 2014 league year salary cap room to be credited to the club’s 2015 team salary

Sun Dec 28: Week 17 of the 2014 NFL regular season

Sun Dec 28: Buffalo Bills at New England Patriots, 1:00 PM (CBS)

Mon Dec 29: Futures/Reserves Contracts – teams whose seasons have ended can sign free agents to 2015 contracts (i.e., practice squad players)

Mon Dec 29: Fifth Year Option – Earliest permissible date for clubs to renegotiate or extend the rookie contract of a drafted rookie who was selected in any round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Any permissible renegotiated or extended player contract will not be considered a rookie contract, and will not be subject to the rules that limit rookie contracts.

Mon Dec 29: Option exercise period begins for Fifth-Year Option for first-round selections from the 2012 NFL Draft. To exercise the option, the club must give written notice to the player on or after December 29, 2014 but prior to May 3, 2015.

 

Sat-Sun Jan 3-4, 2015: Wild Card Round of Playoffs

Sat-Sun Jan 10-11, 2015: Division Round of Playoffs

Sun Jan 18, 2015: NFC Championship Game, 3:00 PM (FOX)

Sun Jan 18, 2015: AFC Championship Game, 6:30 PM (CBS)

Sat Jan 24, 2015: Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, AL

Sun Jan 25, 2015: Pro Bowl, University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale AZ, 8:00 PM (ESPN)

 

Sun Feb 1, 2015: Super Bowl 49, Glendale AZ, 6:30 PM (NBC)

 

 

Follow on Twitter @AllThingsPats

 

 

Week 17 NFL Television Coverage: Pats-Bills in the east, Denver in the west on CBS

Week 17 NFL Television Coverage

 

Usually a Bills-Pats game gets broadcast only in New England and western New York, but it gets a bit more coverage due to the game being shifted to a late afternoon kickoff. Most of the eastern seaboard and as far west as Indiana will air the club’s regular season finale.

This week’s game against Buffalo was shifted from early to late afternoon so that CBS can broadcast the Pats to a larger audience. This was most likely done so that the network can market and broadcast Tom Brady and Peyton Manning now, in anticipation of their respective teams being off next week with a first round bye. Philadelphia-Dallas was moved to Sunday night; that marks the third consecutive year that the Cowboys will play in the league’s regular season finale. The other games moved to late afternoon slots are Tampa Bay at New Orleans (the Saints can finish as high as the number two seed, or miss the playoffs completely) and Green Bay at Chicago. The Packers-Bears and Eagles-Cowboys are both in essence playoff games: the winner continues on to play next week, and the season is over for the loser.

Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts will call the game against Buffalo; they will be the ninth set of announcers to call a Pats game this season. Here is a listing of how many times each broadcastng crew worked a Patriots game this year:

(4) Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf (CBS)
(4) Jim Nantz and Phil Simms (CBS)
(2) Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth (NBC)
(1) Brad Nessler and Mike Mayock (NFLN)
(1) Kevin Burkhardt and John Lynch (FOX)
(1) Thom Brennaman and Troy Aikman (FOX)
(1) Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden (ESPN)
(1) Don Criqui and Steve Tasker (CBS)
(1) Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts (CBS)

 

Below is a listing of each of Sunday’s NFL games, the initial announcement of where they will be air, the broadcast crews (play-by-play, analyst, sideline eye candy), and initial odds as of Tuesday morning.

 

Early Games on CBS

Baltimore Ravens (8-7) at Cincinnati Bengals (10-5)
Jim Nantz and Phil Simms
Bengals favored by 6 with a point total of 44½
– Broadcast in most of New England (Maine, New Hampshire, Boston and Providence) as well as the rest of the United States, except as noted below.

New York Jets (7-8) at Miami Dolphins (8-7)
Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf
Dolphins favored by 6½ with a point total of 41
– Broadcast in Florida (except Jacksonville), Vermont, Connecticut, New York, Mobile AL and Valdosta GA.

Jacksonville Jaguars (4-11) at Indianapolis Colts (10-5)
Bill Macatee and Steve Tasker
Colts favored by 11½ with a point total of 45½
– Broadcast in Indiana, Illinois (except Chicago), Louisville KY, Cape Girardeau MO, Jacksonville FL, and Savannah GA.

Cleveland Browns (4-11) at Pittsburgh Steelers (7-8)
Spero Dedes and Steve Beuerlein
Steelers favored by 7 with a point total of 44
– Broadcast in Pennsylvania (except Harrisburg), West Virginia, and northern Ohio (Cleveland, Toledo, Youngstown).

Houston Texans (2-13) at Tennessee Titans (6-9)
Andrew Catalon and Adam Archuleta
Titans favored by 7 with a point total of 44½
– Broadcast in Tennessee, southeastern Texas (Houston, Beaumont, Bryan, Tyler, Victoria), Bowling Green KY and Huntsville AL.

– No early CBS game in Atlanta and Minneapolis per NFL broadcast rules.

 

Early Games on FOX

Carolina Panthers (11-4) at Atlanta Falcons (4-11)
Kevin Burkhardt, John Lynch, Erin Andrews
Panthers favored by 7½ with a point total of 46½
– Broadcast everywhere except as noted below.

Detroit Lions (7-8) at Minnesota Vikings (4-10-1)
Gus Johnson, Charles Davis, Kristina Pink
Vikings favored by 3½ with a point total of 52½
– Broadcast in Michigan, eastern Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Oklahoma, Lacrosse WI and Wausau WI.

Washington Redskins (3-12) at New York Giants (6-9)
Dick Stockton, Ronde Barber, Kris Budden
Giants favored by 3½ with a point total of 45½
– Broadcast in Vermont, Providence RI, Hartford CT, Springfield MA, New York (except the Buffalo area), DC, Maryland and Virginia.

– No early FOX games in Cincinnati, Miami, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and Nashville per NFL broadcast rules.

 

Late Games on CBS

Denver Broncos (12-3) at Oakland Raiders (4-11)
Kevin Harlan and Solomon Wilcots
Broncos favored by 12½ with a point total of 53½
– Broadcast everywhere except as noted below, i.e., Alaska, Hawaii, everywhere west of the Mississippi (except Seattle, southern California, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri and Iowa).

Buffalo Bills (6-9) at New England Patriots (11-4)
Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts
Patriots favored by 9½ with a point total of 47
– Broadcast in Florida (except Miami, West Palm Beach and Fort Myers), Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania (except Pittsburgh), New Jersey, New York, DC and all of new England.

Kansas City Chiefs (11-4) at San Diego Chargers (8-7)
Marv Albert and Rich Gannon
Chargers favored by 10 with a point total of 45
– Broadcast in Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Maryland, Yuma AZ, Pittsburgh PA, and southern California (San Diego, LA, Palm Springs, Bakersfield).

– No late CBS games in Seattle, Phoenix, Chicago ans New Orleans per NFL broadcast rules.

 

Late Games on FOX

Green Bay Packers (7-7-1) at Chicago Bears (8-7)
Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Pam Oliver
No early line pending status of Aaron Rodgers
edit: opened Thursday as Packers by 3 with a point total of 51½ with news Rodgers will start
– Broadcast everywhere except as noted below.

San Francisco 49ers (11-4) at Arizona Cardinals (10-5)
Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston, Tony Siragusa
Niners favored by 3 with a point total of 43
– Broadcast in northern California (Chico, Sacramento, Oakland, San Jose, Monterey, Fresno, Bakersfield, Eureka, Santa Barbara), Medford OR, Reno NV, Utah and Arizona.

St. Louis Rams (7-8) at Seattle Seahawks (12-3)
Chris Myers, Tim Ryan, Jennifer Hale
Seahawks favored by 10 with a point total of 43
– Broadcast in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, eastern Missouri (St. Louis, Columbia, Cape Girardeau) and southern Illinois.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-11) at New Orleans Saints (10-5)
Thom Brennaman, Brian Billick, Laura Okmin
Saints favored by 12½ with a point total of 47½
– Broadcast in Arkansas, Louisiana, southeastern Texas (Houston, Beaumont), Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia (except Atlanta), Florida (except Miami and West Palm Beach), South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee (except Nashville).

– No late FOX games in San Diego or Boston per NFL broadcast rules.

 

Sunday Night Football on NBC

Philadelphia Eagles (9-6) at Dallas Cowboys (8-7)
Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth, Michele Tafoya
Eagles favored by 7 with a point total of 52½

 

 

 

Follow on Twitter @AllThingsPats

2013-14 Calendar: Key Dates for the Patriots and the NFL

2013 New England Patriots Transaction Tracker

Week 17 NFL Playoff Picture and Scenarios

Week 17 NFL Playoff Picture and Scenarios

 

Before getting into the week 17 playoff scenarios, first a recap of what was resolved Sunday.

– The Denver Broncos had already clinched a playoff spot; they also clinched the NFC West and a first-round bye with their victory at Houston.

– The Patriots clinched a playoff spot and the AFC East when the clock reached 0:00 in Buffalo, giving Miami their seventh loss of the season.


Role players like Michael Hoomanawanui have been vital to the Patriots in their 2013 march to the playoffs

Cincinnati clinched a playoff spot with that loss by the Dolphins and their victory over Minnesota; then when the Ravens lost to the Pats they also clinched the AFC North.

Kansas City‘s unlikely chances of winning the AFC West went down the drain when they lost to the Colts and the Broncos were running up the score in Houston.

San Diego‘s playoff chances got better thanks to their victory over Oakland, plus losses by Miami and Baltimore.

Pittsburgh‘s extremely slim playoff chances stayed alive when everything they needed to happen went their way: a victory at Green Bay, the Jets winning, plus losses by the Dolphins and Ravens.

Carolina clinched a playoff berth with their victory over the Saints.

Detroit was eliminated from the playoffs when they blew a fourth-quarter lead to lose for the fifth time in their last six games; within moments of the end of that overtime game rumors that Jim Schwartz would be fired began to circulate.

A few other week 16 topics of interest:

Peyton Manning broke the NFL record for most touchdown passes in a season, with reaction being split: some congratulated him for the feat, while others wondered aloud why the Broncos passed the ball 51 times against the team with the worst record in the league in an easy victory.

Luke Kuechly had 24 tackles and an interception in Carolina’s 17-13 win over New Orleans. That ties an NFL record for the most tackles in a game, or at least since it became an official stat in 1994. Greg Hardy was big in that game as well with three sacks.

– Kickers Dan Carpenter and Nick Novak were both 4 for 4 on field goal attempts, instrumental in their team’s victories: 19-0 for Carpenter’s Buffalo Bills over Miami, and 26-13 for Novak’s San Diego Chargers over Oakland.

Carson Palmer managed to put together a stat line that you will very rarely see. Palmer threw four interceptions – yet he still gets credit for being the winning quarterback. Arizona’s defense bailed Palmer out, handing Seattle their first home loss since 2011. Since week 8 the Cardinals are allowing only 17.5 points per game, and during that span they rank first in the NFL with 4.4 yards per play and 74 rushing yards per game.

 

AFC Week 17 Team-by-Team Playoff Scenarios

#1 seed Denver Broncos (12-3) – at Oakland
88% chance of being the #1 seed, #12% chance of being #2
– The Broncos have already clinched a playoff spot, the AFC West, and a first-round bye.

Denver clinches the number one seed and home field throughout the playoffs with either:
(a) a win, OR
(b) a loss by New England

 

#2 seed New England Patriots (11-4) – home vs Buffalo
12% chance of being the #1 seed, 73% chance of being #2, 5% chance of being #3, 10% chance of being #4
– The Patriots have clinched a playoff spot and the AFC East.

New England clinches the number one seed and home field throughout the playoffs with both:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by Denver
New England clinches at least the number two seed and a bye with either:
(a) a win, OR
(b) a loss by both Cincinnati and Indianapolis

New England clinches at least the number three seed with:
(a) a loss by Cincinnati, OR
(b) a loss by Indianapolis

New England finishes with the number four seed with:
(a) a loss, PLUS
(b) a win by Cincinnati, PLUS
(c) a win by Indinapolis

 

#3 seed Cincinnati Bengals (10-5) – home vs Baltimore
11% chance of being the #2 seed, 65% chance of being #3, 24% chance of being #4
– The Bengals have clinched a playoff spot and the AFC North.
– Cincinnati cannot be the number one seed.

Cincinnati clinches the number two seed and a bye with both:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by New England

Cincinnati clinches at least the number three seed with either:
(a) a win, OR
(b) a loss by Indianapolis

Cincinnati finishes with the number four seed with both:
(a) a loss, PLUS
(b) a win by Indianapolis

 

#4 seed Indianapolis Colts (10-5) – home vs Jacksonville
4% chance of being the #2 seed, 30% chance of being #3, 66% chance of being #4
– The Colts have clinched a playoff spot and the AFC South.
– Indianapolis cannot be the number one seed.

Indianapolis clinches the number two seed and a bye with:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by New England, PLUS
(c) a loss by Cincinnati

Indianapolis clinches at least the number three seed with both:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by Cincinnati

 

#5 seed Kansas City Chiefs (11-4) – at San Diego
– The Chiefs are locked into the number five seed.

 

#6 seed Miami Dolphins (8-7) – home vs NY Jets
58% chance of being the #6 seed, 42% chance of missing the playoffs

Miami clinches a playoff spot as the #6 seed with:
(a) a win, PLUS a loss by Baltimore; OR
(b) a win, PLUS a win by San Diego

Miami misses the playoffs with:
(a) a loss, PLUS a win by Baltimore; OR
(b) a win by Baltimore, PLUS a loss by San Diego (regardless if they win or lose); OR
(c) a loss, PLUS a loss by San Diego, PLUS a win by Pittsburgh

 

#7 seed Baltimore Ravens (8-7) – at Cincinnati
23% chance of being the #6 seed, 77% chance of missing the playoffs

Baltimore clinches a playoff spot as the #6 seed with:
(a) a win, PLUS a loss by Miami; OR
(b) a win, PLUS a loss by San Diego; OR
(c) a loss by Miami, PLUS a loss by San Diego, PLUS a loss by Pittsburgh

Baltimore misses the playoffs with:
(a) a loss, PLUS a win by Miami; OR
(b) a loss, PLUS a win by San Diego; OR
(c) a loss, PLUS a loss by Miami, PLUS a loss by San Diego, PLUS a win by Pittsburgh
(d) a win by Miami, PLUS a win by San Diego

 

#8 seed San Diego Chargers (8-7) – home vs Kansas City
10% chance of being the #6 seed, 90% chance of missing the playoffs

San Diego clinches a playoff spot as the #6 seed with:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by Miami, PLUS
(c) a loss by Baltimore

The Chargers miss the playoffs with any other combination of outcomes of those games.

 

#9 seed Pittsburgh Steelers (7-8) – home vs Cleveland
9% chance of being the #6 seed, 91% chance of missing the playoffs

Pittsburgh clinches a playoff spot as the #6 seed with:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by Miami, PLUS
(c) a loss by Baltimore, PLUS
(d) a loss by San Diego

The Steelers are eliminated with any other outcome of those four games.

 

NFC Week 17 Team-by-Team Playoff Scenarios

#1 seed Seattle Seahawks (12-3) – home vs St. Louis
94% chance of being the #1 seed, and 6% chance of being #6
– The Seahawks have already clinched a playoff spot.

Seattle clinches the NFC West, number one seed and home field throughout the playoffs with either:
(a) a win, OR
(b) a loss by San Francisco

Seattle finishes as the number five seed with both a loss, PLUS a win by San Francisco.

 

#2 seed Carolina Panthers (11-4) – at Atlanta
5% chance of being the #1 seed, 77% chance of being #2, 9% chance of being #5, and 8% chance of being #6
– The Panthers clinched a playoff spot Sunday.

Carolina clinches the NFC South, number one seed and home field throughout the playoffs with:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by Seattle, PLUS
(c) two wins by San Francisco

Carolina clinches the NFC South and at least a number two seed (first round bye) with either:
(a) a win, OR
(b) a loss by New Orleans

 

#3 seed Philadelphia Eagles (9-6) – at Dallas
45% chance of being the #3 seed, and 55% chance of missing the playoffs

The Eagles clinch the NFC East and the #3 seed with a win.

Philly misses the playoffs with a loss.

 

#4 seed Chicago Bears (8-7) – home vs Green Bay
35% chance of being the #3 seed, 29% #4, and 36% chance of missing the playoffs

The Bears clinch the NFC North with a win.

Chicago misses the playoffs with a loss.

 

#5 seed San Francisco (10-4) – home vs Atlanta (Monday), at Arizona next week
1% chance of being the #1 seed, 5% chance of being #2, 39% chance of being #5, 48% chance of being #6, and 7% chance of missing the playoffs

San Francisco clinches the NFC West and a the number one seed with:
(a) two wins, PLUS
(b) a loss by Seattle, PLUS
(c) a loss by Carolina

San Francisco clinches the NFC West and a first round bye with:
(a) two wins, PLUS
(b) a loss by Seattle

San Francisco clinches a playoff berth with:
(a) a win versus Atlanta, OR
(b) a win at Arizona, OR

San Francisco misses the playoffs with:
(a) loss versus Atlanta, PLUS
(b) a loss at Arizona

 

#6 seed New Orleans Saints (10-5) – home vs Tampa Bay
18% chance of being the #2 seed, 43% chance of being #5, 34% chance of being #6, and 6% chance of missing the playoffs

New Orleans clinches the NFC South and a first round bye with:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by Carolina

New Orleans clinches a playoff spot with:
(a) a win, OR
(b) a loss by Arizona, OR
(c) two losses by San Francisco

New Orleans misses the playoffs with:
(a) a win by San Francisco vs Atlanta, PLUS
(b) a win by Arizona vs San Francisco, PLUS
(c) a loss to Tampa Bay

 

#7 seed Arizona Cardinals (10-5) – home vs San Francisco
3% chance of being the #5 seed, 10% chance of being the #6 seed, and 87% chance of missing the playoffs

Arizona clinches a playoff spot with:
(a) a loss by San Francisco vs Atlanta tonight, PLUS
(b) a win vs San Francisco next week

Arizona clinches a playoff spot with:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by New Orleans

 

#8 seed Dallas Cowboys (8-7) – home vs Philadelphia
20% chance of being the #3 seed, 35% chance of being #4, and 45% chance of missing the playoffs

The Cowboys clinch the NFC East with a win.

Dallas misses the playoffs with a loss.

 

#9 seed Green Bay (7-7-1) – at Chicago
36% chance of being the #4 seed, 64% chance of missing the playoffs

The Packers clinch the NFC North with a win.

Green Bay misses the playoffs with a loss.

 

AFC Seeding Probabilities

#1: Broncos 88%; Patriots 12%
#2: Patriots 73%; Broncos 12%, Bengals 11%; Colts 4%
#3: Bengals 65%; Colts 30%; Patriots 5%
#4: Colts 66%; Bengals 24%; Patriots 10%
#5: Chiefs 100%
#6: Dolphins 58%; Ravens 23%; Chargers 10%; Steelers 9%

NFC Seeding Probabilities

#1: Seahawks 94%; Panthers 5%; 49ers 1%
#2: Panthers 77%; Saints 18%; 49ers 5%
#3: Eagles 45%; Bears 35%; Cowboys 20%
#4: Packers 36%; Cowboys 35%; Bears 29%
#5: Saints 43%; 49ers 39%; Panthers 9%; Seahawks 6%; Cardinals 3%
#6: 49ers 48%; Saints 34%; Cardinals 10%; Panthers 8%

 

Team-by-Team Playoff Probabilities

100% — Denver Broncos
100% — New England Patriots
100% — Cincinnati Bengals
100% — Indianapolis Colts
100% — Kansas City Chiefs
58% — Miami Dolphins
22% — Baltimore Ravens
10% — San Diego Chargers
9% —- Pittsburgh Steelers

100% — Seattle Seahawks
100% — Carolina Panthers
94% — New Orleans Saints
93% — San Francisco 49ers
64% — Chicago Bears
55% — Dallas Cowboys
45% — Philadelphia Eagles
36% — Green Bay Packers
13% —- Arizona Cardinals

 

 

 

Follow on Twitter @AllThingsPats

2013-14 Calendar: Key Dates for the Patriots and the NFL

2013 New England Patriots Transaction Tracker

Week 16 NFL Playoff Scenarios

Week 16 NFL Playoff Scenarios

The Patriots can clinch the AFC East with either a victory at Baltimore or a Miami loss to the Jets, and eight other teams could clinch a playoff spot this week if things fall their way. Denver, Kansas City and Indianapolis have already secured a post-season spot, leaving just three open slots among six teams still in contention in the AFC. Seattle is the only team in the NFC that has locked up a playoff spot, with nine teams still in the hunt for those five other slots.

Here is a look at the week 16 playoff scenarios and probabilities for each team, as well as a look at the eight division titles.

 

AFC Week 16 Clinching Scenarios

#1 seed Denver Broncos (11-3)
Remaining schedule: at Houston, at Oakland
1.) Denver has already clinched a playoff spot
2.) The Broncos can clinch both the AFC West division title as well as at least a #2 seed (i.e., a first-round bye) with both:
(a) a win at Houston, PLUS
(b) a loss by Kansas City
3.) Denver can clinch the #1 seed with:
(a) a win at Houston, PLUS
(b) a loss by Kansas City, PLUS
(c) a loss by New England
Denver could finish anywhere from the #1 to #5 seed.


The Ravens host the Patriots Sunday in a game which holds huge playoff implications for both clubs
(USA TODAY Images)

#2 seed New England Patriots (10-4)
at Baltimore, home vs Buffalo
1.) The Patriots can clinch the AFC East division title with either:
(a) a win at Baltimore, OR
(b) a loss by Miami
2.) In addition to the above, the Patriots can also clinch a playoff spot with:
(a) a loss by Cincinnati
3.) The Pats can clinch a first-round bye with:
(a) a win at Baltimore, AND
(b) a loss by Cincinnati, AND
(c) a loss by Indinapolis
New England could finish anywhere but the #5 seed, or miss the playoffs entirely.

#3 seed Cincinnati Bengals (9-5)
home vs Minnesota, home vs Baltimore
1.) Cincy can clinch the AFC North with both:
(a) a win, AND
(b) a loss by Baltimore
2.) In addition, the Bengals can clinch a playoff spot with:
(a) a win, AND
(b) a loss by Miami
Cincinnati could finish anywhere but the #5 seed, or miss the playoffs entirely.

#4 seed Indianapolis Colts (9-5)
at Kansas City, home vs Jacksonville
Indianapolis has already clinched the AFC South.
Indy lost to Cincinnati, so they need to finish with a better record than the Bengals to move ahead of them to a higher seed. The Colts could pass New England if they win twice and the Patriots lose at least once, since Indy would have a better conference record than the Pats.
The Colts could finish anywhere from the #1 to #4 seed.

#5 seed Kansas City Chiefs (11-3)
home vs Indianapolis, at San Diego
The Chiefs have already clinched a playoff spot.
Kansas City must win at least one more game than Denver over the next two weeks to win the division.
KC can do no worse than the number five seed.

#6 seed Baltimore Ravens (8-6)
home vs Patriots, at Cincinnati
The Ravens can clinch a playoff spot with:
(a) a win at home versus New England, PLUS
(b) a loss by Miami, PLUS
(c) a loss by San Diego
Baltimore beat Miami so they would win a head-to-head tiebreaker; if they win out, or one Baltimore win and one Miami loss over the last two games puts them in the playoffs as well. Baltimore takes the division if they win out, or if both the Ravens and Bengals lose this week and the Ravens beat Cincinnati next week.
The Ravens could finish as the #2, #3, #4 or #6 seed, or could miss the playoffs.

#7 seed Miami Dolphins (8-6)
at Buffalo, home vs NY Jets
Miami can clinch a playoff spot with:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by Cincinnati, PLUS
(c) a loss by Baltimore
The Dolphins could finish as the #2, #3, #4 or #6 seed, or could miss the playoffs.

No week 16 clinching scenarios for #8 San Diego (7-7) or #9 Pittsburgh (6-8); both teams can only finish as the #6 seed if they make the playoffs.

The Chargers need to win both remaining games while both Baltimore and Miami lose both of their games to make the playoffs. San Diego finishes home versus Oakland and Kansas City.

Pittsburgh needs to win twice while (a) Baltimore loses twice, plus (b) Miami loses twice, plus (c) the Jets win twice, and also (d) the Chargers lose at least once. The Steelers finish at Green Bay and home versus Cleveland.

Already eliminated: 6-8 Jets, 5-9 Titans and Bills, 4-10 Raiders, Jaguars and Browns, and 2-12 Texans.

 

NFC Week 16 Clinching Scenarios

#1 seed Seattle Seahawks (12-2)
home vs Arizona, home vs St. Louis
1.) Already clinched a playoff berth in week 13
2.) Can clinch the NFC West division title, a first-round bye, and the number #1 seed with:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a San Francisco loss
The only way Seattle does not win the NFC West is if they lose twice and San Francisco wins twice.
The Seahawks can only be the #1, #2 or #5 seed.

#2 seed New Orleans Saints (10-4)
at Carolina, home vs Tampa Bay
1.) Can clinch both the NFC South and at least a #2 seed (first round bye) with a win
2.) Can clinch playoff spot with:
(a) a win, OR
(b) a loss by Arizona
Th Saints could be the #1 or #2 seed as NFC South division winners, or the #5 or #6 seed – or they could miss the playoffs entirely. Over the next two weeks a single win, an Arizona loss, or two losses by San Francisco clinches a playoff spot. If New Orleans loses to Carolina then they would have to beat the Bucs plus have the Panthers lose to Atlanta to win the division.

#3 seed Philadelphia Eagles (8-6)
home vs Chicago, at Dallas
1.) Can clinch the NFC East division title with both:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a loss by Dallas
The Eagles could be the #3 or #4 seed as NFC East division winners, or they could miss the playoffs.

#4 seed Chicago Bears (8-6)
at Philadelphia, home vs Green Bay
1.) Can clinch the NFC North division title with all of:
(a) a win, PLUS
(b) a Detroit loss, PLUS
(c) a Green Bay loss
The Bears could be the #3 or #4 seed as NFC North division winners, or they could miss the playoffs.

#5 seed Carolina Panthers (10-4)
home vs New Orleans, at Atlanta
1.) Can clinch a playoff berth with:
(a) a win, OR
(b) losses by both Arizona and San Francisco
If Carolina wins their final two games they win the NFC South and a first round bye. Since they lost to Arizona they would lose a tiebreaker to the Cardinals if a playoff spot comes down to that.
The Panthers can still be the #1, #2, #5 or #6 seed, or they could miss the playoffs.

#6 seed San Francisco 49ers (10-4)
home vs Atlanta, at Arizona
1.) Can clinch a playoff berth with:
(a) a win, OR
(b) a loss by Arizona
SF can win the NFC West with two wins, plus two Seattle losses. If they win either of their last two games they are in the playoffs regardless of what happens to other teams.
The 49ers could still be the #1, #2, #5 or #6 seed, or they could miss the playoffs.

#7 seed Arizona (9-5) cannot clinch a playoff spot this week; they can finish as the #5 seed, #6 seed, or miss the playoffs. The Cardinals finish at Seattle and at home versus the 49ers.

#8 seed Green Bay (7-6-1) cannot clinch a playoff spot this week; they can finish as the #3 or #4 seed as the NFC North champions, or miss the playoffs. The Packers still control their own destiny though; with victories at home versus Pittsburgh and then at Chicago they win the division.

#9 seed Detroit Lions (7-7) cannot clinch a playoff spot this week; they can finish as the #3 or #4 seed as the NFC North champions, or miss the playoffs. The Lions finish home versus the Giants and at Minnesota; to make the playoffs they need to win both of those games, plus have Green Bay and Chicago lose at least once each. Detroit holds the tiebreaker over the Bears since they swept Chicago.

#10 seed Dallas Cowboys (7-7) cannot clinch a playoff spot this week; they can finish as the #3 or #4 seed as the NFC East champions, or miss the playoffs. The Cowboys finish at Washington and home versus Philadelphia. If Dallas wins both games they are in as the NFC East champion, and they can also get in if Philly loses both of their final two games.

Already eliminated: 6-8 St. Louis, 5-9 NY Giants, 4-9-1 Minnesota, 4-10 Tampa Bay, 4-10 Atlanta and 3-11 Washington.

 

Division Scenarios and Probabilities

AFC East
Patriots 97%, Dolphins 3%
The only way New England does not win the division is if the patriots lose twice and Miami wins twice, in which case the Dolphins win.

AFC North
Bengals 81%, Ravens 19%
Baltimore takes the division if they win twice, or if Cincinnati loses both games; otherwise the Bengals take it. Both teams control their own destiny; the week 17 contest determines the division title.

AFC South
Colts 100%
Indianapolis has clinched the division.

AFC West
Broncos 90%, Chiefs 10%
The Chiefs need to win twice plus Denver lose at least one, or win at least once while Denver loses twice to win the division; any other scenario and the Broncos are the champs.

NFC East
Eagles 53%, Cowboys 47%
If either Dallas or Philadelphia wins out then that club takes the NFC. Philly can also win by beating the Bears if Dallas loses to Washington. Similar to the AFC North, the week 17 game will most likely be essentially a win or the season is over game.

NFC North
Bears 51%, Packers 32%, Lions 17%
Both Chicago and Green Bay control their own destiny; if either wins out they are division champs. The Bears clinch with a win plus losses by both Green Bay and Detroit, and they also can also take it even if they lose to Philly as long as Detroit loses once and if they beat the Packers next week. The Lions need to win out and have both Chicago and Green Bay lose at least once apiece. This will probably be a third division that will be decided by a play-in game in week 17 when Green Bay is at Chicago.

NFC South
Carolina needs to win both of their last two games to win the division. While we have what is shaping up to be three in-division matchups to determine division winners in week 17, this one will happen this Sunday instead. New Orleans could still win the division with a loss to Carolina if they win and the Panthers lose in week 17.

NFC West
Seahawks 98%, 49ers 2%
For San Francisco to win the NFCW they need to win twice plus have Seattle lose twice; any other combination and the Seahawks are division winners.

 

AFC Seeding Probabilities

#1: Broncos 83%; Chiefs 10%; Patriots 7%; Bengals and Colts less than 1%
#2: Patriots 55%; Bengals 28%; Broncos 7%, Colts 7%, Ravens 1%, Dolphins 1%, KC >1%
#3: Bengals 46%, Patriots 23%, Colts 19%, Ravens 11%, Dolphins 1%, KC/Den >1%
#4: Colts 74%, Patriots 11%, Bengals 7%, Ravens 7%, Dolphins 1%, Broncos >1%
#5: Chiefs 90%, Broncos 10%
#6: Dolphins 70%, Ravens 18%, Bengals 8%, Patriots 2%, Chargers 2%, Steelers >1%

NFC Seeding Probabilities

#1: Seahawks 98%, Saints 1%, Panthers 1%, 49ers >1%
#2: Saints 54%, Panthers 45%, 49ers 1%, Seahawks >1%
#3: Bears 37%, Eagles 35%, Packers 19%, Lions 7%, Cowboys 2%
#4: Cowboys 45%, Eagles 18%, Bears 14%, Packers 13%, Lions 10%
#5: 49ers 52%, Panthers 24%, Saints 21%, Seahawks 2%, Cardinals 1%
#6: 49ers 45%, Panthers 24%, Saints 23%, Cardinals 7%

 

Team-by-Team Playoff Probabilities

100% — Denver Broncos
100% — Indianapolis Colts
100% — Kansas City Chiefs
99% — New England Patriots
89% — Cincinnati Bengals
73% — Miami Dolphins
36% — Baltimore Ravens
2% —- San Diego Chargers
>1% — Pittsburgh Steelers

100% — Seattle Seahawks
99% — New Orleans Saints
98% — San Francisco 49ers
94% — Carolina Panthers
53% — Philadelphia Eagles
51% — Chicago Bears
47% — Dallas Cowboys
32% — Green Bay Packers
17% — Detroit Lions
8% —- Arizona Cardinals

 

 

 

Follow on Twitter @AllThingsPats

2013-14 Calendar: Key Dates for the Patriots and the NFL

2013 New England Patriots Transaction Tracker

NFL Playoff Picture Still Murky Heading Into Week 15

NFL Playoff Picture Still Murky Heading Into Week 15

Although there wasn’t a whole lot of movement in the standings after last week’s games, there were still plenty of critical wins and losses. Cincinnati moved past Indianapolis into the number three position in the AFC with their victory over the Colts, and the Patriots hung onto the number two seed with their miraculous comeback against the Browns. Baltimore’s crazy finish against Minnesota allowed for them to retain the final wild card slot, and Miami’s win at Pittsburgh kept them in the chase while at the same time pretty much finishing the Steelers’ playoff hopes off; Pittsburgh and Tennessee now need to finish 3-0 to have even an outside chance of making the post season. Houston is the only team mathematically eliminated, with Buffalo, Cleveland, Oakland and Jacksonville out of it at 4-8. The 6-7 Chargers and Jets are just one game out but face the task of passing two teams (Ravens and Dolphins) with only three games to go.


There are plenty of games with major playoff implications this week, starting with San Diego at Denver on Thursday and concluding with Baltimore at Detroit on Monday night. (USA TODAY Images)

In the NFC New Orleans bounced back from their loss at Seattle to open up a one-game lead over Carolina in the South, and a two-game lead over Philadelphia for a bye and the number two seed. Philly’s victory over Detroit in the blizzard gave them essentially a two-game lead over the Lions for the number three seed: the 8-5 Eagles would win a tiebreaker over the 7-6 Lions due to that head-to-head victory. The Giants and Rams were eliminated with their losses as they both fall to 5-8. That now makes six teams in the NFC who are done, as they join the Bucs, Vikings, Falcons and Redskins as teams that can officially begin looking ahead to 2014. Dallas blew an opportunity to take the division lead and claim the number three seed with their loss at Chicago, and that created a logjam in the NFC North. The Lions and Bears are both 7-6, but Detroit takes the top spot because they swept Chicago this year. If not for a tie with the Vikings in week 12 it would be a three-way tie for first, as Green Bay is just a hair behind them at 6-6-1. Arizona (8-5) is just one game behind the Panthers and 49ers for a wild card spot, and they finish the season at home agianst the Niners. Chicago and Dallas are one game behind the Cardinals, but their chances of catching Carolina or San Francisco are slim; the path to the playoffs for the Bears and Cowboys is to win their division.

Here is a look at what could be clinched this week:

AFC

New England Patriots: 10-3, currently #2 in AFC
– Can clinch the AFC East division title with a win at Miami.
– Can clinch a playoff berth with a loss by Baltimore at Detroit.
– Can clinch at least the number three seed with a win, plus a loss by Indy

Cincinnati Bengals: 9-4, currently #3 in AFC
– Can clinch the AFC North division title with:
(a) a win at Pittsburgh, plus
(b) a loss by Baltimore at Detroit

– Can clinch a playoff berth with:
(a) a win at Pittsburgh, and
(b) a loss by Miami versus the Patriots

– Can clinch at least the number three seed with:
(a) a win, plus
(b) a loss by Baltimore, plus
(c) a loss by Indianapolis

Indianapolis Colts: 8-5, currently #4 in AFC
– Clinched the AFC South division title last week

Denver Broncos: 11-2, currently #1 in AFC
– Can clinch the AFC West division title with:
(a) a win versus the Chargers, plus
(b) a loss by Kansas City at Oakland

– Can clinch a first-round bye with:
(a) a win, plus
(b) a loss by the Chiefs, plus
(c) a loss by the Bengals

Kansas City Chiefs: 10-3, currently #5 in AFC
– Can clinch a playoff berth with:
(a) a win at Oakland, or
(b) a loss by Miami, or
(c) a loss by Baltimore

– Can clinch at least the number five seed with:
(a) a win, or
(b) losses by both Baltimore and Miami

NFC

Seattle Seahawks: 11-2, currently #1 in NFC
– Can clinch the NFC West division title and a first-round bye with:
(a) a win at NY Giants, plus
(b) a 49ers loss at Tampa Bay

– Can clinch number one seed (home-field advantage throughout the playoffs) with:
(a) a win at Giants, plus
(b) a 49ers loss, plus
(c) a Saints loss

– Can clinch at least the number five seed with:
(a) a win, or
(b) a loss by Carolina

New Orleans Saints: 10-3, currently #2 in NFC
– Can clinch a playoff berth with:
(a) a win at St. Louis, or
(b) losses by both Arizona and Dallas, or
(c) losses by both Arizona and Philadelphia, or

Carolina Panthers: 9-4, currently #5 in NFC
-Can clinch a playoff berth with:
(a) a win versus the Jets, plus
(b) a loss by Arizona at Tennessee, plus
(c) a loss by San Francisco at Tampa Bay, plus
(d) a loss by either Dallas or Philadelphia

San Francisco 49ers: 9-4, currently #6 in NFC
– Can clinch a playoff berth with:
(a) a win at Tampa Bay, plus
(b) a loss by Arizona, plus
(c) a loss by either Dallas or Philadelphia

 

Thinning the herd; some elimination scenarios:

AFC

The four 4-9 teams – Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville and Oakland – all have the same scenarios. They are eliminated from the playoffs with any one of the following:
(a) a loss, or
(b) a win by Miami, or
(c) a win by the Jets, or
(d) a win by Baltimore

The two 5-8 teams – Pittsburgh and Tennessee – also have the same scenarios. Either of those clubs are eliminated from the playoffs with any one of the following:
(a) a loss, plus a win by Miami; or
(b) a loss, plus a win by the Jets; or
(c) a loss, plus a win by Baltimore

The two 6-7 teams have slight variations.

The San Diego Chargers are eliminated with:
(a) a loss to Denver, plus a win by Baltimore; or
(b) a loss to Denver, plus a win by Miami, plus a win by the Jets

The New York Jets are eliminated with:
(a) a loss at Carolina, plus
(b) a win by Baltimore at Detroit

NFC

No new NFC elimination scenarios this week.

 

Playoff Probabilities

AFC

AFC East: Patriots 99%, Dolphins 1%
AFC North: Bengals 97%, Ravens 3%
AFC South: Colts 100%
AFC West: Broncos 99%, Chiefs 1%

#1 Seed: Broncos 86%, Patriots 12%, Bengals 1%, Chiefs 1%
#2 Seed: Patriots 49%, Bengals 38%, Broncos 11%, Colts 1%
#3 Seed: Bengals 55%, Patriots 32%, Colts 10%, Ravens 2%, Broncos 1%, Dolphins 1%
#4 Seed: Colts 90%, Patriots 6%, Bengals 3%, Ravens 1%
#5 Seed: Chiefs 98%, Broncos 1%, Dolphins 1%
#6 Seed: Dolphins 54%, Ravens 30%, Jets 8%, Bengals 2%, Chargers 2%, Patriots 1%, Chiefs 1%, Steelers 1%, Titans 1%
Still alive, but at less than 1%: Bills, Browns, Jaguars, Raiders
Eliminated: Texans

NFC

NFC East: Eagles 56%, Cowboys 44%
NFC North: Lions 63%, Bears 24%, Packers 13%
NFC South: Saints 84%, Panthers 16%
NFC West: Seahawks 96%, 49ers 4%

#1 Seed: Seahawks 94%, Saints 6%
#2 Seed: Saints 78%, Panthers 14%, 49ers 4%, Seahawks 2%, Eagles 2%
#3 Seed: Eagles 47%, Lions 18%, Cowboys 18%, Bears 13%, Packers 2%, Saints 1%, Panthers 1%
#4 Seed: Lions 45%, Cowboys 26%, Bears 11%, Packers 11%, Eagles 7%
#5 Seed: Panthers 48%, 49ers 36%, Saints 9%, Seahawks 4%, Cardinals 3%
#6 Seed: 49ers 53%, Panthers 26%, Cardinals 9%, Saints 6%, Eagles 5%, Cowboys 1%
Still alive, but at less than 1%: none
Eliminated: Giants, Rams, Bucs, Vikings, Falcons, Redskins

 

Remaining Schedule for AFC Playoff Contenders:

11-2 Broncos: vs San Diego, at Houston, at Oakland
10-3 Patriots: at Miami, at Baltimore, vs Buffalo
9-4 Bengals: at Pittsburgh, vs Minnesota, vs Baltimore
8-5 Colts: vs Houston, at Kansas City, vs Jacksonville
10-3 Chiefs: at Oakland, vs Indianapolis, at San Diego
7-6 Ravens: at Lions, vs Patriots, at Bengals
7-6 Dolphins: vs Patriots, at Bills, vs Jets
6-7 Chargers: at Broncos, vs Raiders, vs Chiefs
6-7 Jets: at Panthers, vs Browns, at Dolphins
5-8 Titans: vs Cardinals, at Jaguars, vs Texans
5-8 Steelers: vs Bengals, at Packers, vs Browns

Remaining Schedule for NFC Playoff Contenders:

11-2 Seahawks: at Giants, vs Cardinals, vs Rams
10-3 Saints: at Rams, at Panthers, vs Bucs
8-5 Eagles: at Vikings, vs Bears, at Cowboys
7-6 Lions: vs Ravens, vs Giants, at Vikings
9-4 Panthers: vs Jets, vs Saints, at Falcons
9-4 49ers: at Buccaneers, vs Falcons, at Cardinals
8-5 Cardinals: at Titans, at Seahawks, vs 49ers
7-6 Bears: at Browns, at Eagles, vs Packers
7-6 Cowboys: vs Packers, at Redskins, vs Eagles
6-6-1 Packers: at Cowboys, vs Steelers, at Bears

Get your popcorn ready…

 

 

Follow on Twitter @AllThingsPats

2013-14 Calendar: Key Dates for the Patriots and the NFL

2013 New England Patriots Transaction Tracker

Week 15 NFL Television Schedule

Week 15 NFL Television Schedule

Besides the Pats game the New England area will receive the Seahawks-Giants game early, followed by Packers at Cowboys on FOX. Jim Nantz and Phil Simms will announce the Pats game, which gets primary distribution on CBS. Here is a look at the initial listings per CBS and FOX; local networks may request and receive a change of games later in the week. Listed odds are original numbers as of early Monday, which are sure to fluctuate over the course of the week.

 

Early Games on CBS

New England Patriots (10-3) at Miami Dolphins (7-6)
Jim Nantz and Phil Simms
Patriots favored by 3 with a point total of 45½
Oregon, Idaho, Las Vegas NV, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, northern Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida (except Tampa and Jacksonville), Tennessee, Kentucky, Champaign IL, Peoria IL, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio (except Cleveland), West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania (except Erie, Philadelphia and Scranton), Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine

Buffalo Bills (4-9) at Jacksonville Jaguars (4-9)
Marv Albert and Rich Gannon
Bills favored by 3 with a point total of 44
Jacksonville FL, western New York, Erie PA

Houston Texans (2-11) at Indianapolis Colts (8-5)
Kevin Harlan and Solomon Wilcots
Colts favored by 4½ with a point total of 45½
Indiana, Champaign IL, Peoria IL, Texas

 

Early Games on FOX

Seattle Seahawks (11-2) at New York Giants (5-8)
Kevin Burkhardt and John Lynch
Seahawks favored by 6½ with a point total of 41½
Primary distribution: broadcast everywhere except as noted below

San Francisco 49ers (9-4) at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-9)
Dick Stockton and Ronde Barber
49ers favored by 6 with a point total of 42
Nevada, northern California, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida (except Jacksonville, Miami, Panama City)

Philadelphia Eagles (8-5) at Minnesota Vikings (3-9-1)
Kenny Albert and Daryl Johnston
Eagles favored by 3½ with a point total of 50½
North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, western Wisconsin (Eau Claire,La Crosse, Wausau), Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, Pennsylvania (except Pittsburgh and Erie), southern New Jersey, coastal North Carolina (Greenville, Wilmington), Springfield MO, Pittsburg KS, Shreveport LA, Washington DC

Chicago Bears (6-6)* at Cleveland Browns (4-9)
Thom Brennaman and Brian Billick
Browns favored by 2½ with a point total of 43
Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin (Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee), eastern Missouri (St. Louis, Columbia, Cape Girardeau), Illinois, Michigan, Indiana (except Indianapolis), Ohio, Kentucky, most of West Virginia, Pittsburgh PA, Erie PA
* Chicago record prior to Monday night game versus Dallas

Washington Redskins (3-10) at Atlanta Falcons (3-10)
Sam Rosen and Heath Evans
Falcons favored by 4 with a point total of 50
Alabama (except Mobile), Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina (except Charlotte), Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC, Lewisburg WV, Parkersburg WV

No early game on FOX due to NFL broadcast rules in Indianapolis, Jacksonville or Miami

 

Late Games on CBS

New York Jets (6-7) at Carolina Panthers (9-4)
Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf
Panthers favored by 12 with a point total of 41½
Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, DC, Philadelphia, Cleveland, New York City, Albany

Kansas City Chiefs (10-3) at Oakland Raiders (4-9)
Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts
Chiefs favored by 3½ with a point total of 41
Washington, northern California, Reno NV, North Dakota (except Fargo), South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri (except St. Louis), Scranton PA

 

Late Games on FOX

Green Bay Packers (6-6-1) at Dallas Cowboys (7-5)*
Joe Buck and Troy Aikman
No line listeed due to uncertainty of status of Aaron Rodgers
Primary distribution: broadcast everywhere except as noted below
* Dallas record prior to Monday night game at Chicago

New Orleans Saints (10-3) at St. Louis Rams (5-8)
Chris Myers and Tim Ryan
Saints favored by 5½ with a point total of 47
Louisiana (except Shreveport), Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina (except Charlotte), Missouri, southern Illinois (Quincy, Springfield), Mobile AL

Arizona Cardinals (8-5) at Tennessee Titans (5-8)
Justin Kutcher and Charles Davis
Cardinals favored by 3 with a point total of 41½
Arizona, Tennessee, Bowling Green KY

No late game on FOX due to NFL broadcast rules in Charlotte and San Francisco

 

Night Games in prime time

Thursday Night Football on NFLN
San Diego Chargers (6-7) at Denver Broncos (11-2)
Brad Nessler and Mike Mayock
Broncos favored by 10½ with a point total of 53

Sunday Night Football on NBC
Cincinnati Bengals (9-4) at Pittsburgh Steelers (5-8)
Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth
Bengals favored by 1 with a point total of 41

Monday Night Football on ESPN
Baltimore Ravens (7-6) at Detroit Lions (7-6)
Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden
Lions favored by 5½ with a point total of 46½

 

Other Football Related Broadcasts Of Interest

Tuesday Dec 10, 2:00-3:30 pm ET on NFLN
NFL Replay – Detroit Lions at Philadelphia Eagles

Tuesday Dec 10, 3:30-5:00 pm ET on NFLN
NFL Replay – Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers

Tuesday Dec 10, 9:00-10:00 pm ET on NFLN
A Football Life – Houston (Oilers) ’93

Wednesday Dec 11, 9:00-10:00 pm ET on NFLN
NFL Replay – Cleveland Browns at New England Patriots

Thursday Dec 12, 8:30-11:30 pm ET on NFLN
Thursday Night Football – San Diego Chargers at Denver Broncos

Friday Dec 13, 9:00-10:00 pm ET on NFLN
Playbook NFC – Film breakdown and preview; repeats twice on Saturday

Friday Dec 13, 10:00-11:00 pm ET on NFLN
Playbook AFC – Film breakdown and preview; repeats twice on Saturday

Saturday Dec 14, 3:00-6:30 pm ET on CBS
College Football – Army vs Navy

Sunday Dec 15, 6:30-7:00 am ET on ESPN
NFL Matchup – X’s and O’s show produced by Greg Cosell

Sunday Dec 15, 7:00-9:00 am ET on NFLN
NFL Game Day First – much better than their later pre-game show

Sunday Dec 15, 9:00-1:00 ET on CBSSN
That Other Pregame Show – a decent pre-game show alternative

Sunday Dec 15, 10:00-1:00 ET on WEEI
Patriots Pregame Show – great pregame analysis from Matt Chatham, Chris Price and Dale Arnold

 

 

Follow on Twitter @AllThingsPats

2013-14 Calendar: Key Dates for the Patriots and the NFL

2013 New England Patriots Transaction Tracker